Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: like the essay you sent in for college?  (Read 2110 times)

Ginatio

Re: like the essay you sent in for college?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 12:59:02 PM »
I applied to 17 schools and the only one that had required a specific essay were Penn and Cornell, which wanted an essay about why I wanted to come to their institutions. Other than that, I used the same personal statement for each and every place I applied to.

I can't remember exactly, but a few of the schools *may* have given "suggestions" on what topic to write the personal statement, but I just ignored them and submitted what I had already written.

And just to give you some insight, I wrote about why I was considering law school (since I'm an engineering major), talked about my evolving experiences in the law (from high school through college), and the skills that I have that I feel would be beneficial to studying the law.

It was pretty boring, come to think of it... at least when compared to some of the personal statement topics I hear you guys suggesting on this board; but, it was a safe topic, and i think it served me well...

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 01:04:11 PM »
ALSO in my essay I choose to talk about an adversity that I overcame in my background.  How do I link that to why I want to go to that particular school?  If the reason is that I want a specific program that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my background/adversity.  If I talk about how it was hard to learn english cold-turkey when I got to the US... how do I go from that to telling the AdComm that I want to go to that school because they have an awesome program for law and econ.  Maybe it's me but I am just not seeing the linkage.

This is only a personal opinion, though based on LOTS of things I've read...but trust me, law schools want some idea of why you want to go to law school when they read your PS.  This is NOT saying that want you to start a sentence that reads "I want to go to law school because *blank*"...that is not an effective PS.  There are lots of creative ways to tie it in that don't state it so bluntly, but leave the reader with an understanding of why you want to go to law school.   I've read a couple of statements other people have written and wondered why on earth they want to go to law school based on what they've told me about themselves in the PS.  I also have a family friend who sat on an AdComm at a law school, until about a year ago, who advocates you address why you're interested in law in your PS.  I can find all kinds of sources to cite if you're interested, but just trust me on this...its not good to leave the AdComm wondering why on earth you're applying to law school.

Answer this for me and I'll give you a better idea for how to tie in your interest in your PS:

Why ARE you interested in a program in law and economics?  What about your personality, or what experience, has led you to decide this is where your intersts lie?

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

lexie0502

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 01:30:22 PM »
GA_Kristi's question: Why ARE you interested in a program in law and economics?  What about your personality, or what experience, has led you to decide this is where your intersts lie?

So for me it was an evolving thing.  At first when I was in HS I was interested in international affairs because of my background as an immigrant.  Then through Int'l Aff (my ugrad major) I got exposed to econ (my second major).  I realized I really liked econ.  But I am also interested in law.  I want a technical degree which is what a JD really is...  Econ and law are really interconnected.  The purpose of law is to regulate society in order to provide economic benefits.  So the economy  does have a substantial effect on law.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 02:54:49 PM »
GA_Kristi's question: Why ARE you interested in a program in law and economics?  What about your personality, or what experience, has led you to decide this is where your intersts lie?

So for me it was an evolving thing.  At first when I was in HS I was interested in international affairs because of my background as an immigrant.  Then through Int'l Aff (my ugrad major) I got exposed to econ (my second major).  I realized I really liked econ.  But I am also interested in law.  I want a technical degree which is what a JD really is...  Econ and law are really interconnected.  The purpose of law is to regulate society in order to provide economic benefits.  So the economy  does have a substantial effect on law.

What do you mean by a JD being a "technical degree"?  When I think technical degrees I think Associates Degrees in auto mechanics or beauty school.  A JD is more of a professional degree.  We're probably just having a miscommunication here.

What type of law do you think you'd like to practice?  Do you want to get into government or legal policy analysis in order to have an impact on how the economy affects laws and vice versa? 

Feel free to email me if you'd rather discuss this via email (Kristi_Ann81@yahoo.com).  I'm sure you don't want your whole personal statement aired here on the board!  Sorry!  :)
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi