Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disillusioned Parents  (Read 9790 times)

jorge

Re: Disillusioned Parents
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
I would guess that when you do apply, you will get plenty of CRS waivers, so it won't be that expensive. You have somewhat similar numbers to me, and I've applied to 9 schools and had to pay for 2-3. Of course, you have to pay the $12 report fee, but other than that it's not too bad.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »
The bigger problem for me is explaining (mainly to my wife's side of the family) why I can't get into a better school with my LSAT. They don't know much about the process but they know my LSAT's in the 87th percentile so they wonder why I don't have a shot at soem of the better schools. I have no intention of revealing my GPA to them so I always stumble around saying something like "You have to have really good grades to get in there." As opposed to "You have to do a little bit better than a C- average to get in there." Thankfully they don't press me too much.

I got icy looks from my fiancee when I told my future MIL, "Yeah, I partied WAAAAAY too much my first couple years, so my grades aren't as good as they could be." Apparently the MIL doesn't know that my "dating" her daughter the first year or so consisted of me coming over to her place with a six-pack and a sack of grass and we'd go at it like bunnies.

And don't jinx me about the grandchild thing. I about choked on my tongue when my cousin asked my fiancee, "When are you going to have a baby in your tummy?"

Beyond the fact that I dumped the girl and my GPA skyrockted, we're on the same page.

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Piraeus' Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
My parents seem to think that I should be able to get into Utexas because, after all, those low grades were over ten years ago and my lsat is high... I keep explaining that there's a chance, but it's super, super low.

Actually with a 171 it seems like you'd have a decent shot. Also someone on this board told me he was able, with success, to appeal to the concept of the Texas Fresh Start http://www.collegefortexans.com/applying/academic.cfm in his application to Texas Tech.
GPA 2.34 (you're so jealous)
LSAT 162
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=piraeus

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 12:43:31 PM »
My parents seem to think that I should be able to get into Utexas because, after all, those low grades were over ten years ago and my lsat is high... I keep explaining that there's a chance, but it's super, super low.

I agree with piraeus. 171 is a very impressive score and should help you out quite a bit if your GPA is in the 3.0 range. Good luck and congrats on a stellar score!

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »
My mom has visions of me being a senator, so i'll I ever hear is Georgetown this, Georgetown that.  I don't think she realizes that NYU, Cornell, and UPENN are better schools.

almuhajaba

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »

I was talking to a very good friend of mine who's a lawyer some years ago, about where my sister was going to med school.  His comment was something to the effect of "yeah, you have to actually be smart to go to medical school, but there's a law school for everyone..."

I love when people who point that out to you have a son or daughter in med school in a place like Grenada (and they'll tell you it's the Harvard of the Caribbean) or Trinidad. 

It's funny when i tell people I am applying to law school they will say something like "oh, i know someone who went to Yale law, is that good?"

:D how IRRITATING is that?! my biggest pet peeve is when I'm talking about UPenn and they say "oh, Penn State is in the middle of nowhere you don't wanna go there!"  :P

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 11:08:52 PM »
My mom has visions of me being a senator, so i'll I ever hear is Georgetown this, Georgetown that.  I don't think she realizes that NYU, Cornell, and UPENN are better schools.

I think Cornell v. GT is debatable -  USNEWS isnt everything ;)
HLS '09

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 04:08:45 PM »

That's true, but the others aren't too debatable.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »

That's true, but the others aren't too debatable.

I could make a case for it vs Penn too

js
HLS '09

june6

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
i guess you're a georgetown fan.   :D