Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disillusioned Parents  (Read 9448 times)

june6

Re: Disillusioned Parents
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »
my boss also wrote me a rec. for his alma mater and has started saying "when you get in....", "when you leave...", "you'll love attending....".  i have no chance in hell.

My parents call me every single day and ask if i've gotten anything.  i have not received any acceptences yet, only 1 deferral.  they continue to tell me that i'll be getting an acceptance package  soon. 

My cousin is also going for law school.  she doesnt even know why she wants to go to law school, and has never expressed interest in it before.  my mother is giving her advice.

:-\

jorge

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 12:18:41 AM »
What else are your friends and family supposed to say? Of course they're going to say positive things, whether merited or not.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »
Yeah, I agree that it's great to show support, but the assumptions set up unrealistic expectations that you are unlikely to achieve, and then you feel just like a disappointment.

I am applying to a bunch of reaches, so there is very little chance that any, let alone all, will come through, so it's disheartening to explain that over and over.

Though, I will say that I appreciate the positive spin to some extent, maybe the gods of law school are listening ;)

UVA '09

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 10:36:12 AM »
I really feel for all you people dealing with the crazy parents.  I'm older, so my parents tend to believe me a bit more than they did 10 or 15 years ago.  I especially feel for those of you who's parents open their decision letters.  That would kill me.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »
My mom's not too much of a problem; I can tell her it's going to be tough getting into top schools, and she believes me. She is, however, a little biased in thinking Texas Wesleyan is a good law school and would be the perfect fit for me and wouldn't it be nice if I could move back to my hometown and go to law school and she could have her only son the big-time lawyer in town?

My future mother-in-law, on the other hand, is totally clueless. Little kruddler's going to UT, right, Daughter of Mine? It's such a good school and he's so smart and why doesn't he apply to Harvard? Oh, I had to testify in court one time, why don't you have him meet my lawyer? And if he doesn't want to go to UT, I know someone who knows someone at Houston who he could talk to and I'm sure we could get him in. And when will he know? You know, Daughter of Mine, that you need to find a job for next year now and you can't wait until the end of April to do that. Shouldn't he know by now where he's going?

Ugh.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Piraeus' Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 11:04:01 AM »
My mom's not too much of a problem; I can tell her it's going to be tough getting into top schools, and she believes me. She is, however, a little biased in thinking Texas Wesleyan is a good law school and would be the perfect fit for me and wouldn't it be nice if I could move back to my hometown and go to law school and she could have her only son the big-time lawyer in town?

Dude. I could have written that almost word for word. Right down to Tx Wesleyan. All you would need to add is something about having her grandchild near by.
GPA 2.34 (you're so jealous)
LSAT 162
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=piraeus

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »
The bigger problem for me is explaining (mainly to my wife's side of the family) why I can't get into a better school with my LSAT. They don't know much about the process but they know my LSAT's in the 87th percentile so they wonder why I don't have a shot at soem of the better schools. I have no intention of revealing my GPA to them so I always stumble around saying something like "You have to have really good grades to get in there." As opposed to "You have to do a little bit better than a C- average to get in there." Thankfully they don't press me too much.
LSAT 162

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 11:11:17 AM »

That's actually quite sweet and charming! She wants to show you off... ;D

My parents have been remarkably (and surprisingly) hands off during this entire process, although now that I've received my first acceptance, my dad seems as overly concerned with our mail delivery as I am.  ;)

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »

Dude. I could have written that almost word for word. Right down to Tx Wesleyan. All you would need to add is something about having her grandchild near by.

Oh and I'm not her only son . . .
LSAT 162

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »
My mother keeps pressuring me to apply this year, rather than next year. I keep telling her it's super-expensive and there's a ton of stuff to do. I can't just whip together recommendations and transcripts in two weeks, mom.... And with my split, it's a bad idea.

Of course, my mother was more excited about my lsat score than I was. She screamed into the phone.

My parents seem to think that I should be able to get into Utexas because, after all, those low grades were over ten years ago and my lsat is high... I keep explaining that there's a chance, but it's super, super low.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split