Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disillusioned Parents  (Read 9897 times)

shoppingaddict

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disillusioned Parents
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 07:06:44 PM »

Yeah, my parents and friends still seem to thinking I'll be choosing between Harvard and Yale, even when I physically SHOW them the numbers of those schools compared to my numbers.
To make matters worse, my roommates are applying to education and psych grad schools, which are a billion times easier to get into than law school. ughhhhh.
Cardozo '09

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 07:25:04 PM »
Fortunately I never had to deal with disillusioned parents when I applied to Law School last year and it definitely made the process easier.  My father went to Med School (which is even more competitive to get into than Law School) so he knew exactly what I was going through.

I was talking to a very good friend of mine who's a lawyer some years ago, about where my sister was going to med school.  His comment was something to the effect of "yeah, you have to actually be smart to go to medical school, but there's a law school for everyone..."

Emory '09

LSN

WhatNow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »

I was talking to a very good friend of mine who's a lawyer some years ago, about where my sister was going to med school.  His comment was something to the effect of "yeah, you have to actually be smart to go to medical school, but there's a law school for everyone..."

I love when people who point that out to you have a son or daughter in med school in a place like Grenada (and they'll tell you it's the Harvard of the Caribbean) or Trinidad. 

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »
Last night I finally told my mother the actual odds of me getting into Harvard and Yale and her response was "Well, the Penn admissions dean loved your personal statement, so you still probably have pretty good odds."

I don't think I'm going to tell her about the dings until I ask her to cover my seat deposit somewhere else.

jeb240

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 12:06:04 PM »
Ever the confusion over my chances given that I'm a URM... all of my law school friends are spread out over Columbia, Yale and Harvard.

You'd expect them to know better.

Still they all seem to think that I'm going to break into the Trinity.  I feel like given their high LSAT scores and GPAs, maybe they just haven't ever actually looked at the numbers and that's why they say the things they do.

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 01:18:39 AM »

I love when people who point that out to you have a son or daughter in med school in a place like Grenada (and they'll tell you it's the Harvard of the Caribbean) or Trinidad. 

It's funny when i tell people I am applying to law school they will say something like "oh, i know someone who went to Yale law, is that good?"

poiuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 08:49:42 AM »
I left my parents out of the loop for law school admissions for all the same reasons.  I will let them know I applied if and when I get accepted...

Mookie Blaylock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
what about, "well someone has to get in".  thanks mom, hardy har har.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »
One of my recommenders, who also happens to be my boss, told me, after writing a rec for me for his alma mater and a school I would be getting in by the skin of my teeth if the miracle even happened, that "everyone I've written a rec for has gotten in."

Uh great, thanks. 

if I get the rejection in the mail that will be a fun day in the office the next day--uh, you know that rec streak?...

on another note, my cousin just got a full ride to med school, he's 5 years younger than me... it's been mentioned once or twice at family functions...sigh.
UVA '09

JaimeNina

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
My boss told me the exact same thing.  It would be a miracle if I got in to Stanford, his alma matter, but he's like "i'm sure you'll get in" and "everyone i've written a rec for has gotten in." He thinks my 169 makes me a sure bet, except he went back before the economy tanked and applications skyrocketed and now a 169 is practically auto-ding without a 4.00 there. I showed him the LSN graph from last year and he said "that's totally fake, they don't reject that many high lsats." I sure hope so...