Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disillusioned Parents  (Read 9892 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Disillusioned Parents
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »
i guess you're a georgetown fan.   :D

I could make a case of Cornell v Penn too, although GT is easier ;)
HLS '09

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »
I'm so jeaous Michael.  My dad didn't even finish high school and got so mad about my lsat score (cause I went to an uber-competitive college and did well considering my massive courseload) and he even said he could do better just walking in and taking it!  My mom is a little better, she went to uncompltitive undergrad and grad programs, so usually just says, I can't imagine what it's like doing all this for hard schools!

My best friend is even trouble!  All he says is  you'll get in everywhere and, knowing I applied to 22 schools, ask why I didn't apply to W&L!  I said cause my numbers suck and allo he could say is you want a shot at everywhere don't you???

Alas...  yay for LSD at least!

BTW, I love bender's way of looking at things.  ;)

I look at your stats and I want to hug you.

(My #s are 3.3 154/160. But my school was really hard and I hate that 3.3 is *low*)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »
Thanks skee, same for me!
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

pnkldy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Disillusioned Parents? Not Annoying Parents.

Just because your family is ignorant of the law school application process doesn't make them insensitive boneheads. Contrary to what we delude ourselves to beleive on this website, the world does not revolve around law school. And it certainly does not revolve around your law school application process.

My mother was actually dissapointed when I told her I was applying to law school. I swear she almost cried. She wants me to be a mother first, and everything else in my life will follow. I know the whole "my mom wants me to be a Senator" thing is SO true, and I feel your pain. I can't help coping with the "I want to be the governor, but my parents want me to be a soccer mom" thing

potato

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »
Me: "Dad, good news! I got in to Georgetown"
Dad: "Oh, is that supposed to be good news? Did you get any money?"

Yeesh, he's not happy with the law school thing, yet has no problem telling his friends my LSAT score and that I'm going to Harvard or some school like that.  (Way to jinx it dad, thanks!)

almuhajaba

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 03:17:06 PM »
I totally hear ya...

Me: "Dad, I got into Yale!"
Dad: "is that a good law school?"

thescreed

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 02:53:49 AM »
I have to comisserate with the people on this thread who have grandparent issues. Nothing makes the process harder than having your parents and your in-laws tell you to your face that they're rooting for you, but you know they're hoping like hell that you crash and burn at every good school so you won't move the granddaughter out of town.

On the other hand, I'll crash and burn whether they root for it or not, so at least someone will be happy when my dream is crushed once and for all.

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2006, 05:09:27 AM »
well, the person in my family who was the most invested in my app process (maternal gmother) had a stroke last week and has been in a drug-induced coma for a while. When I go visit her, I tell her good news, even though im not sure she can hear me. i have lived with my grandparents since I was a little kid, and my gramma and grampa are from chicago. I can't get up the courage to tell my grampa that I got rejected from Northwestern (my dream school, for more reasons than one), let alone my comatose gramma who I've always been closest to. I just hope that they'll be proud of me. Good luck everyone!
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

almuhajaba

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 12:52:11 AM »
well, the person in my family who was the most invested in my app process (maternal gmother) had a stroke last week and has been in a drug-induced coma for a while. When I go visit her, I tell her good news, even though im not sure she can hear me. i have lived with my grandparents since I was a little kid, and my gramma and grampa are from chicago. I can't get up the courage to tell my grampa that I got rejected from Northwestern (my dream school, for more reasons than one), let alone my comatose gramma who I've always been closest to. I just hope that they'll be proud of me. Good luck everyone!

:'( im so sorry bout your grandma...I'm sure you will make your grandparents very very proud despite the northwestern denial. Best of luck to you!

sporky

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »
me: omgz dad I got a huge scholarship to lewis and clark!
dad: oh, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole! what about berkeley?
me: dad, berkeley wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole.
dad: well, lewis and clark is crap! you want to go to the best school you can!
me: lewis and clark is one of the best schools I can get into, dad.
dad: oh. well. $10000 isn't even that much when you look at their tuition.
me: I feel great about myself.