Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid Forms, Now???  (Read 705 times)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Financial Aid Forms, Now???
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:03:10 AM »
I know I'll have to wait to get W-2s to file my taxes/FAFSA, but I'm wondering about the extra aid forms required by law schools.  Four schools require lengthy financial aid aplications, so I'd like to do them now while I have some down time from school, but I don't want to put all this effort into FinAid forms just to get a rejection letter. 

Financial Aid will be a big part of my final decision (if I am accepted to moe than one school), but I also don't want to waist my time on tedious forms that are ultimately worthless.  What should I do?

Also, will having these forms in by, say, Jan/Feb, as opposed to March have a drastic effect on the amount of aid I am eligible for?
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Financial Aid Forms, Now???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:19:29 AM »
Doubtful. Most financial aid offices at schools that I am aware of won't do anything with you until you are an admitted student, so its pointless to do their school specific stuff now. My school wouldn't touch my file until my seat deposit had registered, but they worked quickly once it hit to get my award letter done and processed so I could work on private loans.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the input!  It's such a pain, though, since the dealines are in Feb./March and schools don't have t notify until April in most cases!  I need a break, so I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes and try to collect as much genral info. as possible now.
I <3 AH.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 08:16:29 PM »
It has been my experience (this is my second law school) that financial aid office workers are the equivilant of saints in my book. I don't know how they do what they do, but somehow they process what needs to be done in time for them to get their money. I was insanely obsessed with it all before hand too, and my financial aid advisor went out of her way to act on my behalf (though she swears its just them doing their jobs) to ensure my file was in order to get my aid. She worked a LOT quicker than my admissions advisor! Of course the fact that than the office making sure your aid is in place means they get THEIR money may make a difference too!

My advice is to not sweat it, just make sure you FAFSA stuff is in order and they will take care of the rest
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 12:27:36 AM »
Thanks.

I did just get an email from Syracuse though saying they want everything by Feb. 1 even if I don't have a decision.  :-\
I <3 AH.