Law School Discussion

Who did you choose for your LORs?

thescreed

Re: Who did you choose for your LORs?
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 01:48:27 AM »
3 from professors (if the third ever arrives)
1 from former boss
1 from member of Congress

The last I don't send to schools that I suspect won't be that impressed.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 11:48:07 AM »
The first time, I was closer to my undergrad graduation (3 years out) and still worked at the university, so I went with a professor I TA'd for and my boss who not only was my boss at the police station but had been a sucessful practicing laywer on the side for like 23 years. (I had to write that one myself and he edited it)

This time being 10 years out of undergrad and nowhere near my undergrad geographically, I went with a former supervisor (from that same police department) with whom I am still friendly and the laywer I was a paralegal for last year.

Must of worked cause I got in both times.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 01:57:09 PM »
Two professors, one forensics coach:
- One from a professor in my first major (Classics) who ran my study abroad experience, taught a number of classes, led my senior seminar capstone, and served as an unofficial advisor.
- One from a professor in my second major (Poli.Sci.) who taught two con law courses I took (the first law or poli sci courses I took in college).  He is no longer at my school, but is a professor somewhere else.
- One from my Mock Trial coach at my college.

I agree with what has been said before: The quality of the letter is a lot more important than who writes it.  The letter should be from someone who will say they know you well and find you superior to your peers in every respect.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 01:18:11 AM »
wow perhaps mine were sub par (the people i chose to get write them, not the actual letters)..but it was the best i could do!!

-my political philosophy professor, who I took 2 classes with (one intro and one advanced) and is also my advisor

-a political science teaching fellow that I had for two semesters and who knows me quite well and is familiar with my achievements

a third one im not sure if schools even got before it was too late:
-the alumni advisor of my sorority

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »
1) a professor from my major with whom I had three classes and a graduate seminar
2) a professor from my grad program

That's it.

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »
1) A history prof *part of my major) w/ whom I'll have had 6 classes w/ by the time I graduate,
2) The head of the school psych dept (part of my major) who I'll have had three classe w/ and TA'd for, and who's supervising my honors thesis
3) My freshman adivsor, who O've had for three classes, and is over the tutoring program I volunteer w/.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
1) Chair of the philosophy dept, which I took two large (25 students) classes from and two seminars (5-8 students) with.
2) Professor of philosophy, which I had two large classes and one seminar.
3) Professor of political science which I had two large classes with and one small summer class (10 students) with.

After undergrad I started my own consulting firm helping the disabled obtain social security  benefits, which I wrote my personal statement was about.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
1) My current boss (an attorney practicing for 20+ years who I've worked for- for the last 7 years)

2) My former boss (an atty. practicing for 30+ years who I worked for for 4 years.)

3) An attorney I worked with for 4 years (we worked on a trial together which I wrote the memo of law- we won and it was a published decision-setting precedence!)

4)  An atty (law secretary) for a judge who I deal with quite frequently on cases before the Sup. Ct.

I have a question about this though- as I haven't sent my LOR's out yet- #3 on my list is also a good friend- do you think this can hurt? He didn't state this in the LOR- but I'm not sure if it matters or not.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:27 AM »
I doubt that he will state it aside to say I have also dealt with this person outside of work and it has been a pleasure (or whatever).  My grad scool recs mentioned my out of classroom personality and that didn't seem to hurt me at all.

Roxy

• AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 10:41:47 AM »

I have a question about this though- as I haven't sent my LOR's out yet- #3 on my list is also a good friend- do you think this can hurt? He didn't state this in the LOR- but I'm not sure if it matters or not.

I had a worry about that, too. My current boss happens to be a friend of my parents', but I've worked for him for a long time and have done the best law-related stuff with him, and he insisted on mentioning it in the LOR. I was freaking out, thinking that it would look awful...but, it doesn't seem to have hurt me much, yet anyway. He did it in context, saying that he has known me for a very long time and could basically vouch for my character, etc., and he could bring in past stuff that I've done that was hard to otherwise get in the app, b/c he's known me for so long. I was still worried. He used to sit on an ad com committee for his LS, tho, so I figured he'd know what would be read wrong. I think you'll be fine.