Law School Discussion

Who did you choose for your LORs?

Who did you choose for your LORs?
« on: December 16, 2005, 07:32:45 PM »
Professors? Bosses? Alumni from school appling to? Others?

Just curious. Im trying to figure out who I can actually use as a reference.

Goodfella Aaron

Re: Who did you choose the people for your LORs?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 07:36:56 PM »
The admissions people I've talked to have said that you should use professors for your LORs if you're coming straight out of UG and you should use bosses for them if you have significant work experience.

numbercruncher

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »
I came straight from UG and used my professional writing professor, an econ prof. (my major) , and an academic advisor that knows me fairly well.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 08:33:11 PM »
The admissions people I've talked to have said that you should use professors for your LORs if you're coming straight out of UG and you should use bosses for them if you have significant work experience.

Would the assisnt dean of students be a good one? Or should I stick more with professors?

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:38:50 PM »

Would the assisnt dean of students be a good one? Or should I stick more with professors?

good if they know you pretty well.  If not, stick with professors.  I think adcomms care a whole lot more about the quality of the letters than the name signed at the bottom.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:10:56 PM »

Well, I asked the admissions people specifically if I should do professors or bosses. I bet they'd say that you should have recommendations from an academic setting in general as opposed to people you might have worked for.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 11:21:41 PM »
2 professors from my degree granting school.
2 bosses from political campaigns.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:33:51 PM »
Coming straight out of undergrad:

1 from my History Advisor (who was also my freshman advisor and good friend since)

1 from my American Studies Advisor (who's my thesis advisor as well)

1 from my History seminar professor (amazing writer, and the class was majorly intensive on writing)

1 from the VP-Student Affairs for the university (LOR/Dean Cert - I've worked a lot w/ him over the past few years so he knows me pretty well in many capacities)

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Who did you choose for your LORs?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm at grad school the same place I went to undergrad and the prof I would have been first to ask for a lor had just moved to a new school (I could have emailed for it, but it seemed too much of a bother while he was adjusting).

So, I asked for an ug prof who I'd work with on an independent study (and self-proclaimed excellent lor writer) and two profs from my graduate study (one a prof at the ls).  Hopefully that was a nice balance of people who knew me really and less well and I hope throwing in a law prof will show I'm capable of the work to balance my scores.  :-\

Burhop

• Editor and freelance Writer
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
Re: Who did you choose for your LORs?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 07:35:48 PM »
1) My senior seminar professor who has seen loads of my writing, including a major paper, and whose wife just graduated from my #1 pick, SU-law;

2) The writing center director, who has a doctorate, has worked closely with me for two years ('m a tutor in the center), and who was my advisor when I ran the campus lit mag;

3) will probably be a professor from my minor (human rights) or a professor who I know really likes me who I've had for two classes. Havne't asked for this yet cuz SU does not require a 3rd, but I'll probably get one anyways.