Law School Discussion

In at Kent

In at Kent
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:36:14 PM »
Got an e-mail from Chicago-Kent saying an acceptance letter is on the way.  I did most of my apps, including this one, in mid-late November.  This is my first response (aside from completion notices).  The question now is if they'll offer any $$.  Anyone here received any money, or even the formal letter, from Kent for next Fall yet?

I love where the school is located...right by the loop in Chicago...and their IP program looks real good.  Money is a concern, though.  Chicago is expensive.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: In at Kent
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 07:21:49 AM »
Got an e-mail from Chicago-Kent saying an acceptance letter is on the way.  I did most of my apps, including this one, in mid-late November.  This is my first response (aside from completion notices).  The question now is if they'll offer any $$.  Anyone here received any money, or even the formal letter, from Kent for next Fall yet?

I love where the school is located...right by the loop in Chicago...and their IP program looks real good.  Money is a concern, though.  Chicago is expensive.

Chicago is actually very cheap compared to most other large cities.  And also be a little careful with Kent.  They tend to give out huge amounts of money to a lot of the incoming class knowing that a good % of the people will lose their scholarship after 1L.

Also, I'd say there are schools with better locations in Chicago, but that's just me. 

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »
Chicago is actually very cheap compared to most other large cities.  And also be a little careful with Kent.  They tend to give out huge amounts of money to a lot of the incoming class knowing that a good % of the people will lose their scholarship after 1L.

Also, I'd say there are schools with better locations in Chicago, but that's just me. 

Chicago is not expensive for a "big city", but it IS expensive compared to most cities in general, as well as to, say, Champaign, Illinois (where U of Illinois is located).  I like its location in Chicago...it's right near the loop, close to the El AND to Union station (Metra).  So as for public transportation, it's the best as far as I'd be concerned.

As for Kent's common scholarship, yeah, one has got to maintain a 3.25.  No small task, but doable.  One simply cannot take it for granted after the first year...a backup plan is essential.  I found out today I've been offered 10K/year.  It might be tough to maintain that GPA, but I don't see Loyola matching it one way or the other.  DePaul is another story.  We'll see.

Now, if Illinois accepts me, I'll probably go there.  Their tuition is roughly half that of any of the Chicago schools.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 08:33:03 PM »
I got an email today telling me I was accepted too.  I'm a little worried though, because they aren't in my Princeton Review guide to LS.  I'm from NYC, so is it actually worth uprooting for this school?  We'll see when the $ comes in the mail.  Good luck!

Tough call.  It's not real well known outside of Chicago, but is on the rise.  Around here it's pretty much considered in the same realm as Loyola or DePaul (though I'd argue it has passed DePaul...but they're both great for IP law).  I'd say that roughly Kent/Loyola/DePaul are to U. Chicago/Northwestern what Cardozo is to NYU.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 06:24:25 AM »

Chicago is not expensive for a "big city", but it IS expensive compared to most cities in general, as well as to, say, Champaign, Illinois (where U of Illinois is located).  I like its location in Chicago...it's right near the loop, close to the El AND to Union station (Metra).  So as for public transportation, it's the best as far as I'd be concerned.

As for Kent's common scholarship, yeah, one has got to maintain a 3.25.  No small task, but doable.  One simply cannot take it for granted after the first year...a backup plan is essential.  I found out today I've been offered 10K/year.  It might be tough to maintain that GPA, but I don't see Loyola matching it one way or the other.  DePaul is another story.  We'll see.

Now, if Illinois accepts me, I'll probably go there.  Their tuition is roughly half that of any of the Chicago schools.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday.  In terms of location, unless you are coming from the suburbs or live on the Southside, you're probly slightly better off at Loyola or DePaul.  But it's not a huge deal.  As for the scholarship, just be careful b/c I know some Kent folks who are VERY concerned about keeping their scholarship b/c so many people received them with the 3.25 requirement.  It is inevitable that a good amount of people will lose then b/c of the curve.  Why don't you think Loyola will give you any money?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
Why don't you think Loyola will give you any money?

I just get a rough impression from what I've read in various forums that they're not as generous.  Hopefully I'm just paranoid. 

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 11:01:13 AM »
Why don't you think Loyola will give you any money?

I just get a rough impression from what I've read in various forums that they're not as generous.  Hopefully I'm just paranoid. 

They are not as generous.  But all of their money is guaranteed over 3 years, so in the end, they are porbably close to Kent in terms of generosity.  If you wouldn't mind, what are your numbers?  I can give you a pretty good idea if Loyola will give you money and how much.  Feel free to post them here or PM me.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »
OP, can you provide your numbers? I'm waiting to hear back from Kent and finished my apps right around the same time as you. I'm getting antsy waiting for Kent to get back to me.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:27 AM »
I have applied to all three (Loyola Kent DePaul) and I'm just hoping to get into all three so i get to make the difficult decision between them! (probably loyola if everything is equal)

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »
IL is higher ranked, but a nice thing about being in Chicago (Kent/Loyola/DePaul) is the availability of jobs, vs. being in Champaign.