Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Topic Ideas  (Read 476 times)

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
Topic Ideas
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:09:38 PM »
So my life for the month of November was all LSAT, then I had finals and whatnot, and I'm just now going to get started with my PS.  I haven't really had a serious brainstorming session yet, but I've thought of two ideas so far and wanted some feedback (ie both horrible, one has potential, both have potential, why, etc.).

Idea #1: Talk about what it's like to work at Best Buy selling computers.  I'm a Computer Engineering major (read: nerdling), so I figure I could play up the sales part of it, which would address my people skills, etc. (a different side of me from my major).  I could also relate selling a computer to making arguments as an attorney, etc...but I want to do patent law, so that doesn't necessarily apply....lastly, I could throw some humor in w/ funny stories.

Idea #2: Talk about my struggle with my parents when I joined the LDS (Mormon) Church a few years ago.  They were very much against it, which led to lots of drama that should be interesting to read about.  I ended up joining, despite the threats, and everything is hunky-dory now...so this would show character/stick-to-itiveness and have a happy ending.

I have a horrible GPA (LSAC = 2.88) but will hopefully have 172-178 LSAT (waiting on Dec '05), so I REALLY need a rock solid PS, as they'll be relying on it heavily.  Be blunt!

redbottlecap

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
I think Idea #1 would be more interesting for the adcom people to read (as someone who also used to work retail, I know the value of a good story, especially if it involves a jackass customer), but as you mention, Idea #2 says more about your character, which is probably more relevant here.

I would say, go with Idea #2, but if you can also find a way to work in one of your retail stories without it being forced or making the PS too long, do so.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:26:27 AM »
I'd say #2 also.  It makes you stand out more.  A lot of us have worked retail (I was an English major who worked at Barnes and Noble, for example), but not many of us have stood up against our parents to join a religion they don't approve of.  If you can find a way to make your retail career really stand out, then go for that, but the second essay sounds a lot more gripping and would give much better insight into at makes you who you are today.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

austen_girl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 06:32:03 PM »

but while it's definitely more of a "serious" issue, i'd search for the humor in your lds ordeal too. moments of wit and lightheartedness are such a relief to read, all the moreso when the story itself is sober. plus, it's normally the sign of a pretty decent writer, and i think would help distinguish you more.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »
I second that!  Well put, austen.
I <3 AH.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 07:45:57 PM »
Hi,

I actually am in a similar situation (ok, not so similar) in that I converted to Judaism a  few years ago and thought about writing about that transformation - the process of becoming an observant Jew and finding a place in the Jewish community, but I've read you should stay away from "religious" topics lest you offend the sensibilities of your anonymous review. What do people think about this? For right now I'm writing about working with psychiatric patients in Jerusalem, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with this topic.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »
I think there's a way to incorporate your conversion with working with patients in Jerusalm and that would make a very interesting essay.

I've actually heard the oppostie, that talking about somethin profoundly personal, be it sexuality, religion, etc. will make a meaningful unique essay outside of the basic "I want to practice law" premise.
I <3 AH.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 02:57:35 AM »
Thanks for all the great tips everyone...clearly the second option is much better out of these two.  Thanks austen_girl for the humor tip - I'll throw in a "how many Mormons does it take to screw in a lightbulb" here and there (j/k...but I really will find somethin humorous to toss in).

As far as religion being okay...in the Ivey Guide it says not to, but I think she's pretty much saying you don't want to be like "I believe in this particular religion because...".  I think as long as you focus on your journey, or the battles involved, or something on the exterior it's fine.  Just don't get into reasons for believing and the like.  I guess the test would be that you don't want to write something that someone of another religion might disagree with or spend time thinking about why they disagree when they should be thinking about how great of a writer/thinker you are.

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 03:13:08 AM »
Idea #2: Talk about my struggle with my parents when I joined the LDS (Mormon) Church a few years ago.  They were very much against it, which led to lots of drama that should be interesting to read about.  I ended up joining, despite the threats, and everything is hunky-dory now...so this would show character/stick-to-itiveness and have a happy ending.

I have a horrible GPA (LSAC = 2.88) but will hopefully have 172-178 LSAT (waiting on Dec '05), so I REALLY need a rock solid PS, as they'll be relying on it heavily.  Be blunt!

Now were finally getting somewhere.  No not discredit anything in your life especially a religious conversion.   No matter what the conversion is it is very significant.  To decide your own religion is vergy significant considering most just file into place after their parents.  I have schools that I hope to get into with a good PS but will accept my defeat with reading PSs like yours.

I hope the above paragraph speaks for itself because I'm not in any position to speak right not (drunk out of my mind).

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 08:07:51 PM »
Maybe it's not something I need shy away from, then. Thanks for your thoughts. Good luck to everyone!