Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do i need to do?  (Read 511 times)

boyhoosier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
what do i need to do?
« on: December 16, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »
I'll be going to law school next fall.  I'm going to fill out the FAFSA form in January, but what do I need to do to get the rest of the money I'll need?  I'll probably need around $40k a year.  Thanks

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what do i need to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 11:30:47 AM »
The financial aid office at your school (law school) will help you with private loans. They need to give you your award letter (indicating how much you will get from FAFSA) which also shows what the cost of attendence is for your school. You will be able to borrow the amount of the cost of attendence (as calculated by your school) less the amount of AID the feds give you. For me it was $14,000 for the 2 semester loan period. No where near $40,000.

(cost of attendence is $38k and change, and I am getting $18,500 from feds so my difference is $14k)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

boyhoosier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:47:24 PM »
By what if I don't know which school I'm going to until the spring or summer?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 11:17:27 AM »
Well, you can get the FAFSA done and out of the way as soon as possible.. like when you do your taxes, or now if you can project that.
Most of the private loans people advise you to wait until you have your award letter from the schools and all yoru fafsa stuff done before you apply for private loans, since their loan amount is dictated by FAFSA, esentially. I would do the FAFSA now or as soon as you can and then just sit on that until you know where you will be going and how much more you will need above FAFSA. There really isn't anything else you CAN do as far as private law loans go. Having the FAFSA done ahead of time will help though so once you get your acceptances, the process will be quick.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality