Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latino, huh?  (Read 409 times)

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Latino, huh?
« on: December 15, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »
Before I get a ton of responses saying this is dishonest etc, I want to make it clear I have already applied to all my schools and marked Caucasian on all of them. This is hypothetical.

How would it be possible for a law school to ever find out if somebody who marked "Latino" on their application was actually a latino. I had a friend who I knew for a long time in college before he said that he was Puerto-Rican. His last name was VERY American and he was very southern. It turns out his mom was from Puerto-Rico. For about a week, I thought he was joking.

What would happen if some dude just checked latino on his apps? What does the law school do, look at your geneology? I wouldn't be suprised if this happens A LOT. I also wouldn't be suprised if schools don't really bother checking on this because they don't want to know. I get the feeling, most schools want diversity so they can put it in their statistics (LOOK AT US WE HAVE EIGHT MILLIONS URMS!!!). Do you'll think this happens a lot?

azdezza

Re: Latino, huh?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
In Anna Ivey's book she actually talks about this.  She admits that *most* adcomms would never take the time to check it out.  However, if you were EVER caught lying about something like that on your apps, I'm sure you'd be banned from ever practicing law.  While I do suspect some people might try it (and some may have very well gotten away with it), I don't think that many would because of the extent of the possible repercussions.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 08:50:43 PM »
The times they are a-changin'. I bet back in the day some Latino's said they were straight-up caucasion to avoid being discriminated against. Now we've got white-kids doing the opposite.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:01:21 PM »
Really, the only ethnicity that can be truly verified is Native American, and only because most (if not all) tribes give out documentation to their members verifying their NA status.  Because of this, many law schools will request to see such documentation if an applicant marks down that they're NA.  Latino's are probably the hardest to verify because they can be both black and white (and in between, like me).  Even though lying about ethnicity is possible, I don't think it's terribly widespread by any stretch of the imagination.  People stupid enough to take that risk are probably people who don't have the qualifications to get in on their own, even if someone fell for their phony ethnic claim.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Slow Blues

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 12:23:51 PM »
The times they are a-changin'. I bet back in the day some Latino's said they were straight-up caucasion to avoid being discriminated against. Now we've got white-kids doing the opposite.

Believe it or not, Ted Williams apparently was half-Mexican.