Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you become a judge?  (Read 486 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
How do you become a judge?
« on: December 15, 2005, 05:01:49 PM »
I want to go to law school but I have no idea about the career path to becoming a judge.  Do you clerk for a couple years and then have to win an election or be be appointed?  Or is it a goal that I can achieve with steady progress and experience?  I just love the respect and power that being a judge confers even more than I love the money of BigLaw.  However, if its all a crapshoot based on connections and popularity, maybe I need to look somewhere else for my respect and power.

Goodfella Aaron

Re: How do you become a judge?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:40:40 AM »
Well, what type of judge do you wanna be? If traffic judge is your highest priority then I wouldn't sweat it too much, won't really matter where you go. States vary on how their judges are installed, either appointed or elected, but odds are if you want to be a state judge you'd want to go to a school in that state or one that's respected in that state. If you want to be a federal judge, good luck, it's a tough road. It's almost required that you go to a T14 school; if you want to be a federal judge as a rule just go to the best place you can get into. Most have careers in government or academia first, not many spend all their time in biglaw but many do have intermittent stints in private practice (John Roberts spent time at Hogan and Hartson). And almost all of them clerk.

Hope that helps. I wouldn't mind being a judge some day either, but I've got time to make the decision over whether it's my career path.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 02:19:26 AM »
Yea, I used to complain how you had to be a lawyer first to become a judge (when I was about 8 and thought all law was courtroom based).  Useful thread, thanks!
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:50:01 PM »
Depends on where you are, and what type of judicial position you're seeking. Some are done by elections, some by nomination. Generally, this stuff is public knowledge, if you seek it out.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 01:07:42 AM »
bribe someone; if in texas- meet the CEO of an insurance company and tell him you will always rule in his favor