Law School Discussion

Deferred from Columbia ED

Re: Deferred from Columbia ED
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 02:01:30 PM »
Just got my Columbia deferral... it's the best I could have hoped for, so I'm trying to stay positive about it.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 03:02:30 PM »
I got deferred too :/

The thing that worries me the most is they want me to send in this semester's grades. How do you explain a bad case of senioritis?

king

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »
I got deferred too :/

The thing that worries me the most is they want me to send in this semester's grades. How do you explain a bad case of senioritis?

a bad term when you are on the waitlist will be very harmful. 

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:43 AM »
If you don't mind my asking, what does the Columbia deferral say?  Are you in the regular pool and can be considered (and here) anytime from now, or are they not looking at deferred applications until later in the year.

Stay in there, buddy.  Things always have a way of working out well in the end.  Sometimes just a little toughness is required.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 06:55:29 PM »
I'm also deferred....

Just got the letter today

good luck to everyone

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 12:56:47 PM »
What does the deferral letter say?

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 01:03:11 PM »

"We shall be pleased to reconsider your candidacy for admission, without prejudice and with continuing recognition of your special interest in Columbia Law School, in late March."

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »
Thanks.  Most school's deferral policies place deferred students directly into the regular pool and consider them anew, and those students can therefore hear at any time.  Columbia's sounds like something between a deferral and a waitlist.  Strange. 

Does anyone know anything about the deferral policy?  Do any deferred students get admitted, or is it unlikely?

Good luck to everyone.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 04:35:59 PM »
Thanks.  Most school's deferral policies place deferred students directly into the regular pool and consider them anew, and those students can therefore hear at any time.  Columbia's sounds like something between a deferral and a waitlist.  Strange. 

Does anyone know anything about the deferral policy?  Do any deferred students get admitted, or is it unlikely?

Good luck to everyone.

My sense is that they wait to see what kind of RD candidates they get, then go back the the deferred ED-ers.  I know that Columbia accepted from their waitlist last year (they call it a "reserve" list) as late as August.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 03:08:56 PM »

"We shall be pleased to reconsider your candidacy for admission, without prejudice and with continuing recognition of your special interest in Columbia Law School, in late March."

I breathed a sigh of relief when I read the part about being released from the ED contract... I was thinking it was a mistake to sign it, because I do want to consider scholarship offers from other schools.  Be good to me, Penn!  If you give me $$$, I'll forget Columbia altogether.  ;)