Law School Discussion

Numbers

Re: Numbers
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 06:57:50 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of my chances of getting into for example ga state. I go to Ga tech and have a 3.2 gpa there and a horrible LSAT of 151. I have battled cancer for a large portion of my college career and therefore have a strong personal statement. I am just now getting over the 2 surgeries and months of chemo. I feel that I am a unique student because of that. Your thoughts?

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 06:58:31 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of my chances of getting into for example ga state. I go to Ga tech and have a 3.2 gpa there and a horrible LSAT of 151. I have battled cancer for a large portion of my college career and therefore have a strong personal statement. I am just now getting over the 2 surgeries and months of chemo. I feel that I am a unique student because of that. Your thoughts?

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 07:18:18 PM »
Congratulations on living life!!!  I am sorry for your struggle.  I am proud of you for pursuing your dream of law school.  I used to live in Woodstock, GA for seven years and I moved to Montgomery, AL about a year ago.  I will be applying to GA State for Fall 2005.  I still have to take my LSAT in June.  You should be just fine with GA State with your scores.  Going to Tech and doing it with surgeries and chemo, you showed them determination.  Also, have you spoke with an Admissions Rep there yet?  It might be worth it to call a Rep so you can get a feeling for it all.  Since you are in the area, schedule to take a tour of the law school.  Good Luck!

Still homesick for dinner from the Varsity!
Christie

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 09:40:22 AM »
163/3.19

In: U Denver, Indiana/Bloomington, Arizona State

Pending: Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Washington

Here's a general question...my degree GPA is 3.28, but my cumulative is 3.19.  Which is more important?  My cumulative is low because I took some college credit courses in highschool and didn't do that well. 

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 12:42:31 AM »
Easy answer to that one your cumulative the LSAC GPA (as it is affectionately known) is what most if not all law schools go by becasue if they did not average all of your post secondary education grades that would be the famous grade inflation. Granted they may look at your degree granting GPA (aka UGPA) but that will only help or hurt (in your case and many others' help) when you are at the median with most other applicants for a given law school.

EX: Let's say you apply to Harvard or Yale (hypothetical...)
and out of 2,000 applicants your LSAT and/or GPA (LSAC one) is similar to about 1,100 then your UGPA will come in to play to help you out and other -non- quantatative factors as well) Sadl if out 2000 applicants your numbers equated to about 750 or less then LSAC is the written in stone number they would go by quantitatively (to level the field in someone decided to do all tough classes in community college etc.. and that usually doesn't  affect the degree granting GPA)
Hope this clarifies things for you!
---Ivy-hopeful--- (Darrell)

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2004, 01:49:56 PM »
This topic is kind of meaningless.  Any person who has done any research regarding law school admissions knows that a certain UGPA and LSAT score(s) DOES NOT have complete weight in deciding whether or not a person is admitted.  A person's personal statement/essay(s), letter(s) of recommendation, work and/or volunteer experience, and special circumstances can help determine whether the person would be of an worth to a certain school.  I wish good numbers were all that mattered, because my UGPA and LSAT score are excellent, but, sadly, that is not all that matters.  I hope that ya'll all got accepted into the schools of ya'lls choices.

Ivy_Hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 02:22:10 PM »
This top is not very meaningless and I HAVE done quite a bit of research in law school admissions thank you. Just look around at my posts, you might learn something new! Anyway yes everything you said they are all factor in the admissions process (duh) but the sole factors are quantitative the other factors should have been the responsibility of the applicant to see that they are competitive (e.g. community service, employment experience, LOR's and personal statements essays etc..) However the question that was posed was not any of the qualitative factors but rather a question of wether the LSAC (combined average of grades from post secondary education) GPA is regarded as more important to acceptance success when compared to the degree granting GPA (UGPA) and that answer is obvious for those whom have done the research the answer is in order to level the playing field the LSAC GPA is a major factor that is weighted over the UGPA that you recieved upon degree completion since the UGPA is only the final institution grades put together (or usually) and the LSAC makes everything fair and rids the grades of grade inflation (grades that have been recieved that may have been received but did not count toward the degree granting GPA and if you did worse in those other non-countable institutions your overall UGPA is not adversely affected. Therefore you would present an unfair advantage over someone who took all their classes at one institution did just as well in all fields (and just as horrible in others except they were included in the mean of the UGPA) than the one who took the classes in many institutions but the only ones that were taken at the last institution in which the degree was confirmed counted.
An example should clarify any confusion

Say Person X got all A's at their respective university where there were granted their BA degree. But they sucked at Math so they took Math at a local college and got a C then took English or a Chem class and Got B's and C's their degree granting GPA (UGPA) is 4.0 but the LSAC GPA is much less than a 4.0.... Hence the average is more fair when considered of higher importance because---when
Person Y got all A's just like Person X but instead of sneaking off to a community college where the grades don't transfer but the credit does (sneaky but clever) S/he to get's the exact same result in B's and C's in Math Chem and English, but the grades ARE calculated in the UGPA since it was from the same institution therefore the LSAC GPA for Person X would be 3.4ish (but there UGPA would be a 4.0) and the LSAC GPA for Person Y would also be a 3.4ish and the UGPA would also be a 3.4ish. See even stevens....
There this is a droning but exhaustive explanation why the LSAC GPA has precedence over the UGPA...
Hope this helps you further and clarifies anything that was confusing to others.
IVY
PS Short version

UGPA = All Grades from degree granting institution (not counting other institutions)

LSAC GPA = (more fair) All grades from ALL institutions
----------------------------------------

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 02:34:14 PM »
Response to Ivy_Hopeful's last posting for this topic:  Law schools do not care whether a person got a low/bad grade at a different school than where he/she earned his/hers Bachelor's degree.   As far as a personís UGPA is concerned, law schools care about what grades a person made in his/her major(s) and the overall UGPA.

TO EVERYONE:  I recommend befriending members of the admissions committee of your top choice school(s) to learn what matters for admission in that specific school(s) and, then, following up on that knowledge by reading some books on law school admissions.  Do not rely on one person's advice.  Listen to Ivy_Hopeful if you want, but make sure to hear what other people (not just unreliable internet Ďadvisorsí) have to say.

UGPA = GPA from courses applied to UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE(s).

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 06:17:56 PM »
Not to be too logical, but aren't you just an unreliable internet source too?  I don't understand the need to argue on here.  I think that too some extent this is more of a support group for those of us that are stressed out with life and applications and waiting, than something people are reading like the Bible.

Ivy_Hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 09:21:28 AM »
I agree that there is no need for bickering everyone is entitled to their own opinion and truth as they see it... I just want to help people get through this stressful time as I too am strugling in the same circumstance. I apologize for any arrogance or ill words towards anybody....
Have a good day to all of you and keep those fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone  :) ;D