Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rec from Advisor  (Read 1537 times)

CaliToD.C.

Rec from Advisor
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:21:08 PM »
Would it be a good idea to ask for a letter of reccomendation from my academic advisor since he's known me pretty well all throughout college.

What do you guys think?

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rec from Advisor
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 05:35:30 PM »
Did you take many classes under him?  My UG advisor is writing a PS, but I had several classes under her and was involved in a couple of ECs with her. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:22:52 AM »
If you haven't had any classes with him, then no, find a professor instead.  Law schools would much rather have a rec from someone who not only knows you, but knows your academic work.  Unless you have no professor you think would give you a good rec (usually not the case, unless you've been out of school for a while, and I don't get the feeling that this fits you), then get one from the advisor.  I think it'd be more beneficial for a prof though.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 08:08:07 PM »
I think a letter from a prof would be more suitable.  I just wrote a similar response for someone else.  If you want to include that academic advisers letter, then get two other letters, if the schools that you apply to let you submit more than one letter.  Otherwise, get two recs from profs, or one from a prof and one from an employer, depending on your situation.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »
My advisor has been my prof for two legal studies classes.  He went to Harvard and is a really chill guy.  I'm definitely getting a rec from him cause I feel like he would probably really talk me up since he will be rooting for me to get into a good school.  Since he is involved in the process he might start to think we are kind of on the same "team". 

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 01:46:43 PM »
edit