Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Good Are These Soft Factors?  (Read 1296 times)

DavidSJ

• View Profile
How Good Are These Soft Factors?
« on: December 15, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »
Attended US Military Academy (West Point), graduated as honor graduate from the Army Airborne School, Mountain Warfare School, won all sorts of military competitions, active duty for over a year, honorablly discharged due to a serious illness (which I almost died from and had to be treated for while concurrently finishing up my undergraduate degree)...my numbers are a tad low for H/Y/S...

Just wondering whether my soft factors could make up for scores that are below the median at H/Y/S. Thanks in advance.

Choosing Between: Chicago, Michigan, NYU, UPenn, GULC
Declined: Virginia, Duke, UCLA, George Washington, Notre Dame, Rejected: None yet
Waiting: Harvard, Yale, Columbia

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Good Are These Soft Factors?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 01:17:51 AM »
I think military service is rightfully given a ton of respect in the admissions process.  There's one guy on lawschoolnumbers.com who got into Yale with a 161--- decorated veteran.  So I think his service record had something to do with it.

thescreed

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 01:22:13 AM »
On the other hand, see Rumsfeld v. FAIR.

JPhilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 08:30:03 AM »
Attended US Military Academy (West Point), graduated as honor graduate from the Army Airborne School, Mountain Warfare School, won all sorts of military competitions, active duty for over a year, honorablly discharged due to a serious illness (which I almost died from and had to be treated for while concurrently finishing up my undergraduate degree)...my numbers are a tad low for H/Y/S...

Just wondering whether my soft factors could make up for scores that are below the median at H/Y/S. Thanks in advance.

You will have to explain what some of that stuff actually means on your applications.  I mean, I don't know if graduating from the Mountain Warfare school is any more impressive, or if you are required to graduate from some kind of program like that coming out of West Point.  Simply coming out of West Point will probably give you a slight boost, but nothing more than going to an Ivy would get you.  What kind of LSAT are you looking at?
"Imagine the future; Woke up with a scream
I was buying some feelings from a vending machine"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=JPhilmore

sarmstrong806

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:05:26 AM »

God forbid you have to go to Georgetown

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »

A little off-topic, but are you a Ranger?

For what it's worth, West Point is the peer of any university or college. A West Point graduate is extremely well-regarded in the workplace.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »
The key selling point of a Westpoint education are the leadership skills and development. I would emphasize this.

While your military training may sound impressive to the lay person, it could also come off as confusing. Veterans who have had success in the past have been able to communicate the importance of their service as it relates to the civilian community. This goes a step beyond "defending national security" and gives specifics whether it be combat veteran of OEF/OIF, company/platoon command responsible for (x) men/women, budget authority/responsibility for (x) millions of dollars in equipment, etc.

Personally, I think your education and service can only be a benefit to your application.

N. Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Maybe I'm being stereotypical, but I'm under the impression that some of the more "elite" law schools might be biased against military experience.

While the majority of law school professors undoubtedly lean to the left, there is no reason to expect any bias against military veteran applicants.

Nearly every law school advertises a student body diverse in race, religion, life experience, etc.  The military experience would definitely fall under the category of a life experience outside the norm, so I'm guessing it will benefit.

West Point is definitely a prestigious school; however, in this case, the military experience would be a stronger sell if there were more substance, ie leadership experiences that he could discuss.  Obviously not his fault due to the illness. 

Good luck.

N. Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:57:09 PM »

Not always.  West Point consultants are notorious for poor advice, simply because military leadership doesn't always translate in civilian corporate environments.  There was one very well-known ex General-turned-business consultant that a current Fortune 500 CEO discussed in one of my business classes.  If an organization's employees weren't working efficiently, he thought just telling them to improve would automatically result in improvement.  (Evidently, it works that way in some branches of the military or at some levels of the bureaucracy.)  JSIA.
[/quote]

This is a bit of an over-generalization, much like, "all Berkeley grads are notorious for smoking marijuana and waving peace flags."  Perhaps unfair?  

West Point maintains its prestige, like any other "prestigious" school, partially due to the small percentage of admitted vs applicants.  Additionally, service academies offer extensive leadership training and experience that is further developed in the junior-officer years.  Granted, a retired general will have probably be more accostomed to the military syle of management, sometimes to his/her disadvantage, but not always.  

r/
NF

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »
I have been wondering how big of a boost the army will give me.  I think some schools r very military friendly. i have this about illinois and william and Mary. most of the schools i applied to were a little out of my range and im counting on graduating in 5 semesters and serving in Iraq to get me into a couple of them. We shall see how it works out for both of us. keep us posted as t what happens.
Attending: OU