Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Good Are These Soft Factors?  (Read 1301 times)

DavidSJ

• View Profile
Re: How Good Are These Soft Factors?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 06:37:16 PM »
West Point does NOT teach a single specific leadership style. In fact, we live by the term, "situational awareness" and are instructed to modify our leadership technique based on the circumstances we find ourself in. Our one doctrine is to do whatever it takes to inspire people to do that which they do not want to do. For an 18 year old private, yelling and screaming will probably work just fine. In a civilian environment, or let's say if you're interim mayor of a town in Iraq, we need to completely change our methods(and we are trained on how to do so).

Of course it would be ideal to be able to use a kinder, more collaborative approach to leadership at all times, but this simply does not work in reality. You can't convince a 20 year old kid to risk his life and limb by storming the beaches of Normandy out of "kindness..." It takes inspiration for someone to make that kind of sacrifice. That's the main difference that sets West Point grads apart. They don't simply use reason and kindness to gain the cooperation of others...that's not even leadership.

In contrast, West Point leaders are trained to sacrifice for their subordinates, lead by example, and instill a sense of their utmost competency and confidence in their subordinates such that they will do anything for you willingly. West Point leaders recieve training to get to the point where they shouldn't even have to reason or collaborate with their subordinates to get things done (imagine an officer reasoning with his platoon to go fight the enemy, don't have time for that in high-stres situations)...all they should need to do is ask and the subordinate will do it at whatever cost to himself. This does not mean threatening or using fear... West Point banned hazing as an institution in the 1990's. It's more like, when you see what your parents or friend has done and sacrificed for you, you WANT to make them proud and you WANT to do good for them...that's kind of the ideal that West Point aspires to.

p.s. Verbal, glad to see you made it to Iraq and back safe. Sorry to see about G-Town :/ Hope you get in somewhere good, I know you deserve it more than a lot of people.
Choosing Between: Chicago, Michigan, NYU, UPenn, GULC
Declined: Virginia, Duke, UCLA, George Washington, Notre Dame, Rejected: None yet
Waiting: Harvard, Yale, Columbia

SkullTatt

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 07:00:24 PM »
You all are getting a little off topic. From what I have heard, law schools definitely consider military experience a positive. I agree with the above poster that you should briefly explain and put in context any special achievements. (That goes for any achievement or award in an area where the adcomm might not know how to judge it.)

Numbers are still going to matter at HYS a lot. Statistically, a school's numbers get where they are because they admit very few people with lower numbers. Sometimes I think people don't get this, or maybe they do, and they are just hoping to be part of that small fraction who slips in with low numbers for extraordinary reasons.

N. Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 08:55:25 PM »
You all are getting a little off topic.

I agree... points made, noted.... yawn.

DavidSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 09:15:20 PM »
All I have to say is...Kelly Perdew (Apprentice 2) is a West Point grad :)
Choosing Between: Chicago, Michigan, NYU, UPenn, GULC
Declined: Virginia, Duke, UCLA, George Washington, Notre Dame, Rejected: None yet
Waiting: Harvard, Yale, Columbia

N. Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 09:39:15 PM »
All I have to say is...Kelly Perdew (Apprentice 2) is a West Point grad :)

Reality T.V:  A true metric of greatness.

Army2Law

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 08:15:37 PM »
Attended US Military Academy (West Point), graduated as honor graduate from the Army Airborne School, Mountain Warfare School, won all sorts of military competitions, active duty for over a year, honorablly discharged due to a serious illness (which I almost died from and had to be treated for while concurrently finishing up my undergraduate degree)...my numbers are a tad low for H/Y/S...

Just wondering whether my soft factors could make up for scores that are below the median at H/Y/S. Thanks in advance.

I think that your acceptances speak for themselves!

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »
I have a ton of respect for you army guys.  As a navy vet and a police officer, I'm hoping that my experiences will help soften my horrible LSAT at a few places.

One last thing...Go Navy, Beat Army!!!!