Law School Discussion

"No small fonts, please"

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: "No small fonts, please"
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 09:09:26 AM »
Harvard wants 10 pt or larger..read into that what you will  ;)

Where do they say this?

The instructions to their application on the official Harvard website if I remember correctly...it may also be in the instructions on LSAC in the Harvard application

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 09:17:24 AM »
I've changed my ps format based on each school.  My Harvard ps is 10 pt, but it is the only one.  Almost all others are 11 pt.

And I've always stuck with Times New Roman, but I guess that is not the consensus.  What other fonts are people using that are professional, look similar to TNR, but save you a little bit of space?

jg983

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 05:18:05 PM »
What schools want: A two-page, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman document with standard margins.

The guidelines are ambiguous enough that you can deviate from this, but why would you want to? The extra words you can get out of shrinking text, expanding margins, etc. probably aren't worth leaving an adcomm with the impression that you aren't able to write concisely.

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 05:35:18 PM »
What schools want: A two-page, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman document with standard margins.

The guidelines are ambiguous enough that you can deviate from this, but why would you want to? The extra words you can get out of shrinking text, expanding margins, etc. probably aren't worth leaving an adcomm with the impression that you aren't able to write concisely.

agreed. i would think that times new roman is a standard professionally and academically.

and it would show to your advantage that you are a ruthless and brilliant editor of your own work instead of a great margin-manipulator. (format-fudger? type-tinkerer?)