Law School Discussion

UPenn Acceptance Vigil

Goodfella Aaron

Re: UPenn Acceptance Vigil
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2005, 05:35:02 PM »
I think they're doing the whole "how far the application can be thrown down the stairs" method of determining who gets calls and who doesn't.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2005, 05:35:18 PM »
I wonder how they are going about these calls.  Amongst those who have been called, there have been some people with 168-69 LSATs, and I've seen a 180 scorer.

I'd bet that they grabbed a handful and called those people.  I'm a little sad about this no email business.  If they are going out snail mail, I think it will cause a minor heart attack during the letter opening process.  UPenn scares me with their random deferrals from last year.   :-[

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2005, 05:36:17 PM »
I think they're doing the whole "how far the application can be thrown down the stairs" method of determining who gets calls and who doesn't.

Ok...I like your idea better.  :D

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2005, 06:02:08 PM »
Did someone mention that the deferrals and rejections are sent first, or was that speculation? If it's true, I think predicting what's in a letter from Penn mid to late next week will be a bit easier :)

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
Did someone mention that the deferrals and rejections are sent first, or was that speculation? If it's true, I think predicting what's in a letter from Penn mid to late next week will be a bit easier :)

That's what I keep telling myself too  ;)

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2005, 10:55:59 PM »
Judging from LSN, rejections went out first, then deferrals.... so if you're an EA applicant and still haven't heard anything, that's probably a good sign.  Dunno why Penn  does it in reverse of most schools, but it was an interesting week for me, since I was praying for an NYU letter and dreading receiving one from Penn!

Guys, seriously, I have no idea what's up with admissions at these places.  Several people were accepted at NYU but deferred at Penn... all I can think is they didn't write the "Why Penn" essay, or if they did, it wasn't very convincing.  Penn is smaller, so they can be more selective.  So why did I get in there, when it looks like I'm headed for a deferral at NYU?  I can't figure it out, either, except perhaps the admin people sensed that I really loved Penn, which I do.  My "Why Penn" essay focused on my visit to the school, and I specifically pointed out what I liked during that visit.  I also did a lot of research, including speaking to friend-of-friend students and graduates, who I quoted in the essay:

One current 2L told me that unlike other highly rated law schools, at Penn “people work together … students aren’t trying to kill each other.”

I hope that's true!  Although like most law schools, they grade on a curve, so you can screw yourself over by helping your peers... does anyone else think grading on a curve is a mistake?

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2005, 08:59:47 AM »

Also, does anyone know if all admitted applicants got phone calls last year through early notification? As you can probably guess, no letter or call here, just angst.

i know that Pookie got in EA last year and didnt get a call, she just got an email.  im sure several others did as well.

edit:  and, fyi, it appears the emails went out on 12/23 last year.  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,19406.msg273284.html#msg273284
Thanks for the link, nice find! It also seems the phone calls started later last year, meaning that maybe, just maybe, those e-mails will go out a few days earlier this year as the phone calls did. Fingers crossed for some good news sooner rather than later!

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2005, 02:54:07 PM »
Nothing in the mail today. Hope that's a good sign.