Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone on here looking to become a criminal defense atty?  (Read 1245 times)

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone on here looking to become a criminal defense atty?
« on: July 14, 2004, 11:28:20 AM »
If so what is your plan of action? What is the best school to go to, if there is one? Will you try to join a firm or open your own private practice with a friend right out of LS? I am just curious because this is what I would like to do (Criminal Defense). Is the best plan to join a firm or PD's office? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lipper316

Re: Anyone on here looking to become a criminal defense atty?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:39:58 PM »
Actually, many of the attorneys by me in NY (westchester, rockland) were Assistant District Attorneys before a defense attorney. This way this gives you a little insight into how "the other side" works.

rwhitman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:57:07 PM »
Actually, many of the attorneys by me in NY (westchester, rockland) were Assistant District Attorneys before a defense attorney. This way this gives you a little insight into how "the other side" works.

Also, working for the prosecution you will get a lot more courtroom experience than a defense lawyer, which looks pretty good when you apply to a law firm.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 11:07:58 PM »
Lipper316

Do you know anybody in Rockland County DA's Office?  Most if not all the prosecutors from Rockland and Westchester DA were former prosecutors working for New York County DA.  The usual route that lawyers take is to work as a prosecutor in order gain trial experience.  You start off at the low end trying minor cases, and work your way up to felonies, and if you're lucky or good enough, maybe you will end up with murder cases. 

Another route, is to work as a legal aid or find a good law firm who would provide attorney's that would mentor you at trial. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 01:05:25 AM »
I am only considering criminal law.  it is my passion and why i want to become an attorney.  I disagree that working with the DA is a good idea.  You get tainted very quickly by politics.  I don't mind working a couple years as a PD, making 27k a year, I'll get that litigation experience and since I'm one hell of a conceited bastard, i hope to get hired at a huge salary based on my performance, or go it alone. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »
 NYC criminal defense will always need attorneys.Think beyond the DA's office and Legal Aid and look into the 18 B panel.Any law School will do as long as you pass the bar.Cheap is always a consideration.

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:37:07 PM »
Sorry, what is the 18 B panel? Thanks

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 01:44:10 PM »
Private attorneys who do  Court Appointed Criminal cases

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 01:53:30 PM »
Private attorneys who do  Court Appointed Criminal cases

How does that work?  Something you'd do in addition to your private practice job, like pro bono?
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 01:57:44 PM »
No, it's probably not pro bono.  Although the money paid in many states definitely does not make it worth the time and effort, especially if you're a private attorney.  My firm in Boston is actually mounting an effort to get the pay scale raised in MA, since more and more attorneys that participated in the indigent defense program can no longer really afford the time. The rates paid here in MA are one of, if not *the* lowest in the country.  A lot of these attorneys have their own practices, or work for smaller offices, and don't have the time/resources to devote to defend people if their pay barely covers lunch and dinner for the day.