Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 22678 times)

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »
We owe it to those who broke down barriers so that we might compete...An African who gets a minority scholarship or who checks the box should understand that they are affiliating themselves with a collective struggle for human dignity that was denied on the basis of color
So you say that we only owe working for a better America to those "who broke down barriers so that we might compete?" In that case, that still means all Americans because the civil rights struggle did not happen in a bubble. While blacks worked and fought, the changes that needed to be made would not have occurred had the rest of society not acted. Do you think blacks singlehandedly did everything? Or do you think that blacks are the only ones in a "collective struggle for human dignity"? I'm not getting your rationale...

No it doesn't mean all Americans--not everyone marched on Washington, boycotted etc.  That is our weak attempt to sanitize history/reality.  I owe those progressive Americans of other races a duty, but I do not owe America writ large a duty.  And then again is the question of proportionality.  To whom much is given, much is required.  Lets be honest, when you check the box take the scholarship you are being given something because of a legacy of a particular struggle for dignity. 

petitschoque

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2006, 10:40:29 AM »
We owe it to those who broke down barriers so that we might compete...An African who gets a minority scholarship or who checks the box should understand that they are affiliating themselves with a collective struggle for human dignity that was denied on the basis of color
So you say that we only owe working for a better America to those "who broke down barriers so that we might compete?" In that case, that still means all Americans because the civil rights struggle did not happen in a bubble. While blacks worked and fought, the changes that needed to be made would not have occurred had the rest of society not acted. Do you think blacks singlehandedly did everything? Or do you think that blacks are the only ones in a "collective struggle for human dignity"? I'm not getting your rationale...

No it doesn't mean all Americans--not everyone marched on Washington, boycotted etc.  That is our weak attempt to sanitize history/reality.  I owe those progressive Americans of other races a duty, but I do not owe America writ large a duty.  And then again is the question of proportionality.  To whom much is given, much is required.  Lets be honest, when you check the box take the scholarship you are being given something because of a legacy of a particular struggle for dignity. 
Okay. You're welcome to your ideas just as I am to mine. Opinion is murky territory and I cannot argue with your way of seeing this nor do I really feel motivated to do so.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2006, 10:45:45 AM »

Okay. You're welcome to your ideas just as I am to mine. Opinion is murky territory and I cannot argue with your way of seeing this nor do I really feel motivated to do so.

My general point is if you feel like you have no sense of affiliation with that struggle, thats fine.  Just don't check the box/apply for those grants.

petitschoque

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »

My general point is if you feel like you have no sense of affiliation with that struggle, thats fine.  Just don't check the box/apply for those grants.

Um...thank you for your opinion and "admonishment"...?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2006, 10:53:33 AM »

Um...thank you for your opinion and "admonishment"...?

you're welcome.  best of luck in the future.

petitschoque

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »
If you mean that, then thank you :) Best luck and blessings to you too :)

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »

why wouldn't I mean it?  :( when one of us does well we all benefit...

petitschoque

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »

why wouldn't I mean it?  :( when one of us does well we all benefit...
Good point :) I hope others will be benefiting quite a bit from me.

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »
So do we have a roll call of Nigerians going to US law schools this year and what they hope to do with their law degree upon graduation?

I'll go first: I'm going to a decent school and would like to work on international trade agreements with developing countries. Go..

Steph_A

• Fierce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »
Thanks Jontor :)

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to check in too.

Igbo tribe.

Welcome aboard Steph
"A lawyer is either a social engineer or a parasite on society"
- Charles Hamilton Huston

YALE for me!