Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 23805 times)

petitschoque

Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »
That's alright, we ALL go back to African roots of you count far enough.

Sweet, does this mean I'm black? :D

Raise the roof!!
LOL ;)

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »
Now if we want to translate LSAT to GMAT, you just drop the 1 and mutiply the remaining 2 digits by 100. So a LSAT of 167 is a GMAT of 670. Now 3 friends of mine (and I know its a small and likely unrepresentative sample) got a 660, 690 and a 720 on their GMAT scores and all three applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Michigan. All had work experience and  GPAs above 3.7 ( the 720 was a bus major with a 3.87). Only the 720 guy got into all 3 schools while the rest got into only 1 each (Wharton and Harvard) and I think one was waitlisted at Michigan. Now in LSAT terms those scores are unbelievable for URMs and with work experience to boot they'd be in at HYSCCN no questions asked. But because of the sheer volume of folks like them (not necessarily with exact numbers) applying to B-School, the AA thing doesn't pull them in as much. So in summary, the AA track in B-School doesn't pull you in as much as in Law School.

Not countering your point, it may very well be legit, but with regards to the support of your argument:

I would like to point out that a 167 actually corresponds more closely to a 720 on the GMAT (based on percentiles) and the GPA means MUCH less when applying to B-school, while the particular work experience carries enormous weight.

(BTW, 660 = 161 and 690 = 163-164)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 10:50:58 AM »

Interesting b/c all my young cousins who are doing their year of service in Lagos downplay their being Igbo (although their last names are a giveaway)- b/c the chances that you will score a high paying job as an Igbo are slim to none w/o serious connection b/c of all the tribal problems that still occur - I was shocked to hear abt it all when I was there - I thought it was a thing of the past.

which jobs?

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Nations Cup
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 11:29:22 AM »
Nigeria wins in penalty shootout...anyone interested you can actually watch the Nations cup live online at www.telesud.com it costs about $29 all the games $15 for one team and $5 for just one game and it's life....can't beat it

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 12:23:22 PM »

Interesting b/c all my young cousins who are doing their year of service in Lagos downplay their being Igbo (although their last names are a giveaway)- b/c the chances that you will score a high paying job as an Igbo are slim to none w/o serious connection b/c of all the tribal problems that still occur - I was shocked to hear abt it all when I was there - I thought it was a thing of the past.

which jobs?

Banking

Just wondering how they can downplay their being in Igbo in Naija..... ??? 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 12:45:10 PM »
nigerians suck ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »
nigerians suck ;D

How do you mean Burning Sands?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »
I was just talkin reckless.  Of course Nigerians don't suck.

Its just that sometimes I am aggrivated by the behavior of our people you know?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2006, 07:09:43 PM »

Thank you ;) What part/tribe are you from?

Ibo

I'm Igbo too!

Gosh..my Igbo brothers and sisters have taken over but Yoruba's are right behind you O!! We colonized London and Dublin (the latter in an abnormally fast process) and soon we will match you man for man, woman for woman in Yankee!!! ;D ;D

But on a serious note..I have heard of blatant ethnic discrimination in Nigeria's labor market and it sickens me. I strongly feel we need some kind of EEOC or comprehensive Civil Rights legislation to ban all forms of discrimination in housing, employment, education and access to public services ( I think the 1999 constitution has language to that effect but like many other aspects of the document, its not really enforced  :(). Its sad but I pray over time things change...but you know what, I think, just like in here, many of these triablish BS can be diminished through intermarriage. I hope I don't sound like I have been living under a rock for the past decade, but I swear it seems like there are a lot of ethnic intermarriages now. Hopefully the process continues cos all I remember in secondary school in Lagos, was how much finer many of the girls from the east were compared to the yoruba babes (just speaking for myself here).

As per the med school thing, my sister did the MCAT and I think she got a 32 or something like that. I remember she flew to a couple of schools for interviews and got admitted to Wash U in St Louis, Vanderbilt and Yale. She finally got into a UC school (which was pretty well ranked) but she was telling me that AA wasn't really pulling much her way cos there was a huge supply of Africans/African American applicants. Considering the sheer number of med school applicants wanted to come over here from UCH, Nsukka, Ife, LUTH etc. I certainly expect the number of Naijas in law school to increase exponentially....after that I guess it will be dominating the robotic engineering/quantum meta-physics/genetic transformative biophysics or whatever the Star Wars type fields are out there!!

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2006, 11:31:03 PM »

By the end of the trip -I was seriously like despite being a totally radical idea -- the only potential solution I see working for Nigeria right now is to reinstate foreign rule -people who will not fall prey to corruption (and I am a very proud Nigerian)

[/quote]

OH HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOO!!! No you didn't just say that??  :-[

Foreign rule?? As in re-colonization..I mean things are bad but saying we should throw out our nascent republic and call back Her Majesty's Horseguards parade ain't it. I'm not too crazy about Naija politics now (with the Godfatherism and Gov's piling up cash by looting their state's treasury) but we are experiencing democracy any newbie does (Iraq, Afghanistan and yes even the US decades after the republic was founded). We've got a long way to go but that option is not even worth considering. I'm shocked ma'am..shocked I tells ya :o :o!!