Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 22125 times)

Stencilasnusky

Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2006, 11:22:27 AM »
Here's a new thread I started and would like if anyone would like to contribute..

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,55610.0.html

Steph_A

• Fierce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2006, 12:46:39 AM »
I know I'm late, but I just wanted to check in too.

Igbo tribe.
"A lawyer is either a social engineer or a parasite on society"
- Charles Hamilton Huston

YALE for me!

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »
I know I'm late, but I just wanted to check in too.

Igbo tribe.

Welcome aboard Steph

petitschoque

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2006, 08:38:44 AM »
Let me pose the question I asked on Stencilanusky's thread here too:

Beyond acknowledging the history and contributions of black Americans to our current lifestyles, does anyone here think that Africans living in America should do something more to show 'gratitude' for the civil rights movement? If so, what? If not, why?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »

Beyond acknowledging the history and contributions of black Americans to our current lifestyles, does anyone here think that Africans living in America should do something more to show 'gratitude' for the civil rights movement? If so, what? If not, why?

Yes. Work with them to create a better America.

petitschoque

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2006, 09:59:24 AM »

That's an awesome answer :) But isn't that something we owe all Americans regardless of color?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »

That's an awesome answer :) But isn't that something we owe all Americans regardless of color?

No.

petitschoque

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »

No.
Umm...okay. So we only owe it to those of our color? Or what exactly do you mean?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »

No.
Umm...okay. So we only owe it to those of our color? Or what exactly do you mean?

We owe it to those who broke down barriers so that we might compete...An African who gets a minority scholarship or who checks the box should understand that they are affiliating themselves with a collective struggle for human dignity that was denied on the basis of color

petitschoque

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
We owe it to those who broke down barriers so that we might compete...An African who gets a minority scholarship or who checks the box should understand that they are affiliating themselves with a collective struggle for human dignity that was denied on the basis of color
So you say that we only owe working for a better America to those "who broke down barriers so that we might compete?" In that case, that still means all Americans because the civil rights struggle did not happen in a bubble. While blacks worked and fought, the changes that needed to be made would not have occurred had the rest of society not acted. Do you think blacks singlehandedly did everything? Or do you think that blacks are the only ones in a "collective struggle for human dignity"? I'm not getting your rationale...