Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 22958 times)

petitschoque

Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »
Naija here.

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »

petitschoque

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
So who's going to wager that Naija's will be flocking to Law school enmass in 10yrs since they have pretty much lost the AA track in B-School and Med School. We just don't stay in one place no? Makes one wonder who the real colonialists are

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 06:00:37 PM »

Thank you ;) What part/tribe are you from?

Ibo

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 06:24:34 PM »
"since they have pretty much lost the AA track in B-School and Med School."

What do you mean?

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »

What do you mean?

Well a friend of mine who graduated from a top B school told me that there has been an increase in int'l B-School applicants from Africa such that the AA impact of diversifying B-School with soft factors, URM etc is not as strong as before. And I know for a fact that if there is an increase in African anything in an Anglo-phone country I bet you the drivers are Nigerians.

Now if we want to translate LSAT to GMAT, you just drop the 1 and mutiply the remaining 2 digits by 100. So a LSAT of 167 is a GMAT of 670. Now 3 friends of mine (and I know its a small and likely unrepresentative sample) got a 660, 690 and a 720 on their GMAT scores and all three applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Michigan. All had work experience and  GPAs above 3.7 ( the 720 was a bus major with a 3.87). Only the 720 guy got into all 3 schools while the rest got into only 1 each (Wharton and Harvard) and I think one was waitlisted at Michigan. Now in LSAT terms those scores are unbelievable for URMs and with work experience to boot they'd be in at HYSCCN no questions asked. But because of the sheer volume of folks like them (not necessarily with exact numbers) applying to B-School, the AA thing doesn't pull them in as much. So in summary, the AA track in B-School doesn't pull you in as much as in Law School.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 07:25:51 PM »

What do you mean?

Well a friend of mine who graduated from a top B school told me that there has been an increase in int'l B-School applicants from Africa such that the AA impact of diversifying B-School with soft factors, URM etc is not as strong as before. And I know for a fact that if there is an increase in African anything in an Anglo-phone country I bet you the drivers are Nigerians.

Now if we want to translate LSAT to GMAT, you just drop the 1 and mutiply the remaining 2 digits by 100. So a LSAT of 167 is a GMAT of 670. Now 3 friends of mine (and I know its a small and likely unrepresentative sample) got a 660, 690 and a 720 on their GMAT scores and all three applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Michigan. All had work experience and  GPAs above 3.7 ( the 720 was a bus major with a 3.87). Only the 720 guy got into all 3 schools while the rest got into only 1 each (Wharton and Harvard) and I think one was waitlisted at Michigan. Now in LSAT terms those scores are unbelievable for URMs and with work experience to boot they'd be in at HYSCCN no questions asked. But because of the sheer volume of folks like them (not necessarily with exact numbers) applying to B-School, the AA thing doesn't pull them in as much. So in summary, the AA track in B-School doesn't pull you in as much as in Law School.

interesting, what about med school?

petitschoque

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »
Med school is the domain of Nigerians, lol.

Before I decided on law, me and 8 of my Nigerian friends were all pre-med. The lowest MCAT score among us was 38 (98 %ile--highest is 45). After I decided to stand up to my parents and get out of medicine (I hate medicine so much), the rest of them went on to apply to med school. Now without exception, they all got into excellent schools but some of the rejects they got made me think the med schools must be crazy because they had out of this world scores by any standard, talk less of for URMs (the average is 23 for URMs, I believe). If they had scored in the 98 %ile for law school, we'd be talking auto-admits to even HYS, especially considering their super-high GPAs.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »
Med school is the domain of Nigerians, lol.

Before I decided on law, me and 8 of my Nigerian friends were all pre-med. The lowest MCAT score among us was 38 (98 %ile--highest is 45). After I decided to stand up to my parents and get out of medicine (I hate medicine so much), the rest of them went on to apply to med school. Now without exception, they all got into excellent schools but some of the rejects they got made me think the med schools must be crazy because they had out of this world scores by any standard, talk less of for URMs (the average is 23 for URMs, I believe). If they had scored in the 98 %ile for law school, we'd be talking auto-admits to even HYS, especially considering their super-high GPAs.

true, but med school is way more competitive in general though for all, urm or not