Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 23511 times)

Stencilasnusky

Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »
That is so true PC..I actually do remember the Ghana must go bag (I confess I have about 2 in my house which I brought with me from a recent Naija trip..HAHAHA)...My mum actually worked at the Ministry of Internal Affairs (similar to the US Department of Homeland Security)..and the Minsiter was this crass uneducated Northern bonehead soldier who's name escapes me now...
How does Ghana do it? They don't have 2 heads for sure. I was taught by Ghanian teachers in the 80s ( though I refused to substitute the word "but" for their "bet"!!!)..anyhoo..Nigerians are just a complicated bunch of folks I tell you..I find Ghananians to be generally more peaceful and not as "gra-gra" as we are....could it be the complexity of ethnic relationships? the lack of a "unifying" take charge visionary like Rawlings? Are we just too big to manage (remember Nigeria is the most populated African nation ( I think its about 135-150 millino, with the largest standintg army ..I think the next most populous country is Egpyt at about 77 million)..I mean we are HUGE!!! And that involves complexity but doesn't mean we should be stupid about our affairs..

Hey on a side note...the AIPAC (American Israeli Political Action Committee) is having its annual convention in DC with speakers from both political parties, business and other groups..has anyone thought about establishing a similar thing for Nigerians here in the US? I think with the fact that there is going to be a permanent Nigerian-American community and with tons of us moving up the ranks of medicine, business and now law, and maybe politics..we could form a similar interest group to not only look out for Nigeria's interests (and that of others in and out of Africa) but also as a standing pressure group to ensure that Nigeria and Africa as a whole grows democratically and towards free market economics..any thoughts would be appreciated?

LOL@Jontor.

On a related topic, how did Ghana get where it is today? It wasn't so long ago that Ghanaians were so poor that their professors came to Nigeria to be tailors and hairdressers. It wasn't so long ago that Nigerians had the upperhand and arrogantly mistreated Ghanaians (lol, anyone remember what "ghana must go" is?). How did they get their act together and how can we learn from them? Not to advocate violence but I seem to remember Ghana lining up and shooting those military and government heads who had corrupted their stations...

Granted Ghana is not perfect but it speaks volumes that it isn't seen as quite the 3rd world quagmire of corruption Nigeria is known to be nor is it being torn apart like Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Cote D'Ivoire. It's doing very well in West Africa--do Ghanaians have two heads?...

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2006, 11:14:14 AM »
Just saw the thread , Igbo man checking in, how is everyone doing?
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2006, 01:59:58 AM »
I leave tomorrow for Nigeria for two weeks  - wish me luck!

good luck. pardon me for asking, but why nigeria?

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »
I leave tomorrow for Nigeria for two weeks  - wish me luck!

good luck. pardon me for asking, but why nigeria?

Because Nigeria is his/her native country!
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »
Anyone going to Naija before the start of school in August? ..I will be there in July till mid august.

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
Was planning on going over this summer, but that's been scrapped now!

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2006, 02:01:31 PM »

Why did you scrap it...I thought of scrapping the trip too, the cost of the ticket alone is crazy but I can't justify scrapping it, haven't been home in a long time

Pythagoras

• Sr. Citizen
  • ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »
I was thinking of going but my Dad just up and decided to come here for the summber so that's scrapped. 

So now, I'm thinking of going over Christmas.  It would be a nice way to de-stress after finals.
ATTENDING: Columbia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pythagoras22

"Ponme la mano aqui, macorina.  Ponme la mano aqui."

Steph_A

• Fierce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2006, 01:37:33 AM »
I wish I could go  :'(. Anyone want to let me borrow a couple thousand  ;D?
"A lawyer is either a social engineer or a parasite on society"
- Charles Hamilton Huston

YALE for me!

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »

Why did you scrap it...I thought of scrapping the trip too, the cost of the ticket alone is crazy but I can't justify scrapping it, haven't been home in a long time

Can't afford to anymore, with school right around the corner. But I really should go home soon, haven't been back in over 6 years now. But I'm also not very highly motivated to go back as my fam and most of my extended fam are not there. MOre like going to see my friends and re-live the Naija experience.