Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Nigerians Out There?  (Read 22170 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: Any Nigerians Out There?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:41:49 PM »
That's alright, we ALL go back to African roots of you count far enough.  Lots of Naija's in the house!  Good stuff. ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
Ekaro, Eka san, Eku irole, Eka ale, Eku odun, Eku Iyedun, Emi A sope...tell me when to stop  ;D
....Kedu Ka imee....

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »
Let me ask you guys, what is it that about Nigerians that enables them to hold it down so nasty academically/intellectually?

And more importantly is there anything that can be done to instill it in the rest of black America?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »
upbringing

that's as simple as I can put it, the culture of the parenting of nigerians is just different from the general upbringing of most black americans.  I learned at a young age the meaning of the word deference.  Don't get me wrong, black folk most definitely bring it home when it comes to discipline but its a different type of discipline for us.  Rather, its an expectation.  It is expected that you will excell at school, whereas I don't think that black folk stress that enough today.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 04:01:34 PM »
Let me ask you guys, what is it that about Nigerians that enables them to hold it down so nasty academically/intellectually?

And more importantly is there anything that can be done to instill it in the rest of black America?

Holy Crap!!! I don't know if I can answer that. I will assume that you asked the question honeslty without implying 2 things (1) stereotype that Nigerians are generally academically outstanding and (2) Black Americans aren't..I can't paint anything with a big brush. Maybe its  (1) economical factors (i.e. it was bad in Nigeria, its good here lets make the best of it) (2) Nigerians don't have the imprint of residual effect of slavery and systemic discrimination that Black America has endured and (3) Nigerians can always hop back across the atlantic home and don't feel they are long term stakeholders in America. Its a conflunce of things but from personal experience I can tell you of tons of Nigerians I know/ have heard of that aren't academically superior or even care about making a positive contribution and tons of Black Americans I know that are so far on top that I can't see them anymore. I really can't say but certainly there is no stereotypical Nigerian genuius!!

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »
BTW, try not to take my question too seriously. 

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »
BTW, try not to take my question too seriously. 

I know what you mean (cos I've heard it tons of times). But I just wanted to make sure I responded in a way that someone else wouldn't take offense at the assumption that somehow Black Americans lack some kind of drive (trust me I once answered with that assumption and the response was pretty strong!!! >:()

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 04:54:05 PM »
Hey Sands who are those lovely people in your avatar?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 07:16:22 PM »
Sten - LOL, yeah man just when you least expect it. ;)  Wsup nwoke?  (or waghi)

Vic - those are my sisters
Charles H. Houston

akattorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My numbers!!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »

Brain Drain.......btw, I'm checking in as a Nigerian