Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do I stand?  (Read 457 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
Where do I stand?
« on: December 13, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »
Hi everybody, I have a 2.93 cum GPA and 169LSAT, just got accepted to Cardozo today and Rutgers Camden a week and a half ago.  My question is, I am surprised to get answers so quickly -does this mean my application stacks up better than I thought?  I mean I was set to go to Brooklyn, Cardozo, American, etc. but do these events signal I may have a shot at a T30 school?  And I applied to all of them if you're curious

john83

Re: Where do I stand?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:48:21 PM »
my thought is this:

hearing quickly is usually good news. must mean they like your numbers. (probably that LSAT score).

john83

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:52:26 PM »
i always say, it can't hurt to apply. i had no shot at the T14 and i applied to three.. why the heck not (already rejected by 2 though... oh well).

the worst you can get is a rejection. the best an acceptance. and the best, i'd say, is pretty good.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »
I think it's a good idea to at least TRY for better schools.  A lot of schools salivate at an LSAT like yours, and if the rest of your record is spotless, someone might bite..  At least give it a shot, and then you'll know for sure!

thescreed

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »
Hope for the best and expect the worst.  Hey, sometimes the guy with the hot girlfriend just hits on every hot girl he sees?  Same thing with law school I guess.

I think of it as "18 inches." Golfers know that you give your putts enough speed so they will stop 18 inches past the hole. This is because a putt that never reaches the hole has zero chance of going in.

You will NEVER get in to schools where you don't submit an application. That's a guarantee. If you want to have a chance, you have to try. That's what I'm doing . . .

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 07:11:08 PM »
I think the rule of thumb is that if you get accepted at all your schools, then you did not reach far enough.

www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:53:55 PM »
Well, I guess I thought that Cardozo wasn't in the bank and when they replied so soon... maybe I should be setting my sights higher? 

it wasnt in the bank (hindsight is 20/20) but that doesnt mean you shouldnt set your sights higher.  you are definitely competitive at t30 schools.    every t30 school wants a 169 and some will forgive the gpa to get it