Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choosing the Laptop for Law School  (Read 6468 times)

flydog

Re: Choosing the Laptop for Law School
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2006, 10:56:49 PM »
I am leaning toward the Dell Inspiron 710m. I saw it in the store, and it's real small and light. I have a Mac PowerBook, and although I love it, I just get the feeling that the schools I have been accepted to are much more PC-friendly, and I want to be able to take exams on my own computer. 

The thing is, Dell changes their prices weekly. Last week, the base model was $867 and now it's over $1200. I keep holding out to get it, but I hope I can get a good price.

I also hope it's quiet. I have an older Dell laptop and the fan is annoying. But my brother and boyfriend have newer Dells and they are quiet, so I hope they resolved that issue.

Dell plays a lot of games with pricing. You have to keep checking the website. Every 2 weeks they will drop everying 30% then the week after it all goes back up. Also you can buy coupons on eBay for about $1.00 that give you up to 15% and can be stacked on top of other discounts. Look for coupons that say stackable.  I bought a loadeded 710m with dual high capacity batteries, extra AC adapter for $995 with shipping and tax. Normally its over $1400. Also run a google search for Dell coupons. Lots of companies offer coupon codes for free.

The 710m is a great notebook and with the right coupons you can get the basic model for $750 or so. With the high cap battery it runs over 5 hours

Mine ended up being half the price of the new Sony SZ and its only 1/2 lb heavier and runs about the same time. The SZ is a little faster and has a bigger screen but the Dell is sufficient for law school needs.

weberik

• View Profile
    • Mac Law Students
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2006, 08:39:48 PM »
If you're considering using a Mac in law school, you may want to check out MacLawStudents at http://www.maclawstudents.com. It's put together by a current law student (me) who uses a Mac. The question of exam software is discussed on the site, and there I've included software reviews and other information that might be handy. Feel free to contact me directly if you've visited the site and still have questions about using a Mac in law school.
Erik Schmidt
Editor, Mac Law Students

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2006, 08:58:57 AM »
If you're considering using a Mac in law school, you may want to check out MacLawStudents at http://www.maclawstudents.com. It's put together by a current law student (me) who uses a Mac. The question of exam software is discussed on the site, and there I've included software reviews and other information that might be handy. Feel free to contact me directly if you've visited the site and still have questions about using a Mac in law school.

Cool site.  I <3 my mac.

But my mom will be diappointed if I can use it in law school.  I promised to sell it to her if I had to get a new computer.   :D

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2006, 04:45:11 PM »
FWIW, I just bought a MacBook Pro even tho I'm going to start law school in the fall...and I'm happy as a clam.  Really, at this point you couldn't pay me to use a PC.  From all accounts, I should be able to run the exam software on my computer (plus, it was finally released for Macs a few months ago, although most schools aren't supporting it yet.)  But really, if the worst thing is that I have to borrow a PC for exams or write a few longhand...I'll still have a MacBook Pro at the end of the day!!!!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Does anyone know common it is to bring a laptop to class?  Don't people just take notes on paper anymore?  I just graduated college (large state university) in December and noone brought a laptop to class.  What is the point of bringing a computer to class with you?

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »
easier organization of notes. i think i've heard a majority of people use laptops in law school.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
i actually graduated from a lafayette college, a small private college (2500 students) and no one ever used a computer and the kids that did were looked at as wierd.  in law school, the amount of research and such is much more extensive, and it is necessary to have it as far as going to the library or somewher else.  i sat in a law school class last week and the information was not so overpowering that you needed a computer for speed, but it gave you much more time to pay attention.  in a class of about 45, i woud say at least 40 had laptops up and running for notes

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »
Does the idea that it gives you more time to pay attention assume that you type faster than you write?  Also, I guess coming from a large university I am used to there being plenty of available computers around campus, I guess that could not be the case in LS though.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2006, 05:45:41 PM »
FWIW, I just bought a MacBook Pro even tho I'm going to start law school in the fall...and I'm happy as a clam.  Really, at this point you couldn't pay me to use a PC.  From all accounts, I should be able to run the exam software on my computer (plus, it was finally released for Macs a few months ago, although most schools aren't supporting it yet.)  But really, if the worst thing is that I have to borrow a PC for exams or write a few longhand...I'll still have a MacBook Pro at the end of the day!!!!

I'm leaning towards this option myself.

flydog

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2006, 07:54:25 PM »
Does anyone know common it is to bring a laptop to class?  Don't people just take notes on paper anymore?  I just graduated college (large state university) in December and noone brought a laptop to class.  What is the point of bringing a computer to class with you?

I have sat it on 4 classes when visiting schools and never saw anyone without a laptop. Its a lot easier to form notes into an outline using a word processor than rewriting or typing an outline from scratch.