Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those of you who took Powerscore  (Read 1057 times)

Victor

For those of you who took Powerscore
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:04:46 AM »
How did you go about doing the homework? Seems like im up all night trying to finish the homeworks. I dont get any sleep.

Also what was your first Powerscore diagnostic score and your real LSAT score?

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: For those of you who took Powerscore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:30:59 AM »
I just started my class last week. Getting all the homework done during the week is impossible for me because I work 9-5 and my classes are Tue & Thu 6-10. I try to do some homework on the remaining 3 weeknights, but usually I'm still reeling from the 12-hr workdays when I do have class so I'm not as productive as I want to be, which sucks because that means I'm always stuck playing catch-up on the weekends. C'est la vie.

dubris

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 10:29:48 AM »
I also worked 9-5 (actually, more like 9-7) and took powerscore. My classes were thurs and sunday nights, so we had more gaps between classes than you. I think you should just do as much homework as you can because there are some lessons where the homework is lighter and you can use the extra time to catch up. But try to be caught up before your 3rd diagnostic test (that's what my instructor told the class.) I believe that's right up to lesson 10.

Oh, my first diagnostic was a 155 and I got a 169 on the real thing.

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 10:54:39 AM »
I empathize with all the people who work full time and take PS.  I don't work and thought it would be a breeze to stay on top of things and put in the numerous hours of study required.   WRONG!!!!  One other non-working student in my class found the same thing. My class was Sun and Thursday.  The Sun HW wasn't much of a problem, the Thursday homework seemed to be almost impossible to finish.

The homework is extensive and exhaustive.  Right in the beginning of the course, the book states that doing the homework is crucial to doing well, it also candidly admits that most people may not be able to.  It gives a suggested study plan for those who can't do it all, to get as much benefit as possible for them.

My iniital diagnostic was a embarrasing 143, my final was a 164.  I cancelled my June score because I was not well the day of the test and bombed the RC which is my strongest area.

Powerscore is challenging and intense, but believe me the results are well worth it.

My PS instructor told us NOT to approach this as a marathon, but as sprints.  He recommended doing 45 to 50 minutes at a time and taking a break as opposed to cramming 3 or 4 hours a day on it.  It may be easier to find scattered areas of time here and there, than to carve out a chunk of time at once.  I found that to be helpful in between housework, running erranfs, and helping to care for an elderly mother.  I put in 5 to 6 hours a day, in several mini-study periods throughtout the day. 

Good luck to all, hang in there, keep your eye on the PRIZE, Admission to the law school of your dreams.

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

sunfloweruva

• UVA - 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »
Yep... I also work full time and take the Tues/Thurs PS course.  I have found that it is VERY difficult to finish all the homework assignments (esp. Tues.).. but, I try to do a good number from each section to make sure that I at least understand the concepts, then, as time permits, go back to work extra problems that I didn't get to...

I hope this strategy works.. guess we'll see come Test 2!
"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happines. It is not self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."
~ Helen Keller

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 11:54:12 AM »
Another question for those of you that have taken Powerscore-

I'm not really sure how this works...  Do they include questions from previously administered LSATs within the homework?  If so, how can you get a true score when practicing with the perviously administered LSATs?  If you've seen the questions within your homework it will bias your score somewhat.  Any explanation would be helpful.  I'm wondering if I should take several previously administed LSATs before Powerscore since my scores could be biased after beginning the class???  Thank you!
Attending Duke

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:27:25 PM »
Yes, everys single question used in the PS score is an actual question from a previously released LSAT.  No made up or simulated questions.  It's why PS books are so much more expensive, they don't hold back on paying the fees LSAC asks for licensing the use of the questions.

While this may appear to be a disavantage that would somehow "taint" your diagnostics and skew the "true" measure of your progress.  I noticed that on different LSATs the SAME stimulus showed up, but as a totally different type of questions with 5 totally different answer choices.  Sometimes the Stimulus would show up as weaken question and sometimes as a strenghten question.  In order to be able to answer EACH different scenario, it was imperative that one understand the Stimulus.  The only way to gain that is through repetition.  Familiarity may be contempt but it also breeds self confidence.  That's the most important factor to LSAT success.

Regards

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 12:48:48 PM »
So you don't think you would remember an answer from your PS work if you took a diag test w/ the same question?

untouchableface

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:06:40 PM »
Before I took PS, I had done quite a few practices tests from 10 Actual lsat preptests and 10 more preptests that lsac publishes and I didn't have a problem with being too familar with the questions in class at all. Rachelb1 is right in that the same stimulus may show up with a completely different question. 

Hobbes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 03:16:08 PM »
My suggestion is to call powerscore and see what tests will be administered and provided to you as full tests.  In my opinion, it does not matter as much whether you have seen a PS homework problem before on a practice test.  After all, you are doing the homework to understand how to approach a problem, not as a diagnostic.  It just matters on the diagnostics so you can see where you are excelling or need some help.

But, this is all just a personal opinion.