Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm 38, mother of 4 under 6yrs. old and want to do law school -can it be done?  (Read 1639 times)

candiceo

• View Profile
Drama101 brings up a good point - one that I have considered and am still considering - that going to ls will force me to "give up" time with my kids as they are growing up. But...whether I go to ls or go back to work, I will at some point in the next couple of years be giving up time with my family. Our original idea was that I would go to work part-time, maybe as early as 2006 or 2007, and adding hours as the kids get older, until I am full-time. Going to ls will replace my working. Studying will be my "job". I plan to apply for fall of 2007...so I am not rushing it. Who knows, maybe studying for the lsat will turn me off. Or, maybe the intellectual stimulation will really turn me on (you got that right, Drama101)!

Mobo, thanks for the encouragement. I do not take offense to people with no kids offering me advice. As a mother of 4, I take all the help I can get!

These are all great points people are bringing up. Just what I am looking for - both pro's and con's as I make this decision.   

BTW - I have started studying some sample lsat questions and I find that in the 6 years of childrearing, I have lost the ability to concentrate - especially on the reading comprehension. After reading 2 sentences I am suddenly thinking "don't forget to put a snack in so-and-so's backpack for tomorrow". Do you think that with practice I can get better focus? I used to be good at blocking out all other thoughts and was always good at reading comprehension.

Again, thanks for all of your thoughts. Keep it coming - it is very helpful.
Candice

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
i don't mind getting called out - it helps keep me humble. ;)

drama does bring up some very good points...and they are some of the ones that i find myself discussing at great length with my very educated and accomplished mom-friends. one has a jd from a t14, the rest all seem to have MAs or CPAs or both. below i offer you my 2 cents, i certainly have no judgment one way or the other on this subject. but i have tried to learn what i can from my friends who live it.

here's the thing. your kids ARE small and they do need you. but it isn't like you are raising them alone, they have a present and active dad who is willing to step up and take on more. that is a great thing, a husband and father who understands and accepts the responsibility for his children and his family, and does so willingly.

your children WILL miss you on the nights you are studying for the lsat, or in class, or studying torts, or attending law school functions. and you will miss them, but during those times they will also have a wonderful opportunity to connect with their father in a way they might not have had otherwise. or a wonderful opportunity to learn new social skills by spending some time with your babysitter, and/or the preschool staff, or your friends/extended family. won't be easy for anyone, but children are resilient, and they can learn to appreciate quality time with you too.

to give an example that i always draw personal inspiration from:

one of my best friends had her second child while she was earning her master's degree in tax accounting. (her heaven, my hell.) her husband couldn't work for legal reasons, so she left her six week old infant with him, while she waited tables full time and went to school full time, for a year, until she graduated. the point is that while she missed her children incredibly, and it was hard on everyone, he had an amazing chance to bond with the baby and the older child in a whole new way, which is apparent in their relationships to this day, some 8 years later. plus now she is a cpa and can make more working part time than she ever did working full-time, while spending time being a soccer/baseball/cheer/football/scouts/godknowswhatelse mom.

it sure wasn't easy at the time, though, but their commitment to making it work, well, it made it work.

sorry this post is so long...and there's more.

about the lsat, it is going to take some time to get yourself back in the habit of blocking EVERYTHING out to study. honestly, i think that is the only way you are going to get through law school, if you make the time you sit down to read really count. that focus will come back if you practice it enough. and you might ask uconn for several contacts in their pt program you can talk to - i would specifically ask what their study habits are like and how many hours outside class they spend for each hour of class, and what kind of grades that effort produces. this varies student to student, but after a few people you will start to see a pattern (i usually hear about 1.5-2 hours studying for every hour in class). the school may also have this information for you. it is a way to see if hours-wise, it is feasible.

this is just one thread on studying for the lsat, but it may help give you some ideas on how to make the most of the time you are dedicating to it. especially on the second/third pages.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,47617.0.html

personally, i didn't like studying for the lsat, but i loved the intellectual challenge of the logic questions and games...

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
I say, if it's your dream, then go for it (especialy if you can't see yourself happily doing much else).  My mom worked full-time (40 hours a week), took care of two kids (without much help at all), and got a 4.0 in her Masters.  If you have the drive to do it, then do it.  Given that your kids will all be in school in three years, by the time you graduate lining up a work schuedle shouldn't be too hard.

Best of luck!

Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

marriedwchildren

• View Profile
i am 37. i have a 13, 10, 3 year old. i work full time and i go to school full time finishing my bachelors. i am studying for my lsat now. I think if it is your dream then go for it. i am. i study right along with my kids. i also have a great husband who helps around the house and gives me time to study. Nap times are crucial study time. also kids are in bed usually no later than 9. i study after. my kids aren;t suffering. they have plenty of love, time and i still make it to most cheerleading, basketball and school stuff they have.

The only thing i can say is your kids are alot younger than mine. two of mine are self sufficent but the 3 year old is off the wall and i have to watch like a hawk.

think about it and talk to your husband about it in great length. worse comes to worst take a few hours a day and see how much studying you get done with the kids.

Good Luck

notfamous

• View Profile
My mother went to law school when I was in high school and my brother was in jr. high. She intended to go part time and work part time, but ended up doing both full time. Looking back on the experience I have to say that I'm not sure that it was much different than if she'd just been working full time. I remember a few bad things- like her forgetting to pick me up at swim practice and me being a typical teenager and refusing to go to her graduation because it was the same time that my senior pictures were scheduled.

I would have been 13-16 while she was in school and my brother would have been 11-14. We were both very involved with extra curricular activites, so I really think that the biggest issue for my mom was transportation. I remember her being overjoyed when I turned 16 and could finally drive.

All that said, I also don't remember seeing much of my family at all during that time. I couldn't tell you that we ever ate dinner (or any meal) together and there would be days that passed without me seeing any of my family members. For us, that worked. We are not a particulary close family and my parents were not all that interested in "parenting." They pretty much just left us to take care of ourselves.

And, what is probably more telling is that I am now planning on going to law school myself, so I clearly didn't develop any sort of resentment towards the study of the law. I may have developed an issue with having kids, but that remains to be seen.

I guess my point is that it is certainly possible to manage law school and kids,  but you are going to miss out on a lot of parent-type stuff. If you're the kind of person who wants to be involved with your kids, it's going to be tough. Not impossible, but it will require some fancy scheduling systems and a lot of help.