Law School Discussion

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on the WTO?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »
Agreed, and it's probably a better way for the USA to operate. But how do third world nations protect their workers w/o tariffs since they don't have the money or expertise to train their workers?

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »
Freak,

You do have a point. It could be argued that any kind of government assistance to workers is unfair to foreign workers, but there are two reasons (that I can think of at least) why government assisted industry transitions for workers are seen as less protectionist than tarriffs and subsidies.

First of all, it only protects the US in industries that we already have the competitive advantage in anyway, therefore allowing us to make the best use of our resources possible. In turn, this will actually help other countries because: 1) they will be able to compete IN America in the area that they are best equipped to because we no longer have tariffs or subsidies and have transitioned the workers in that area here to other industries; and 2) prices on the goods and services that they import from the US because of our already established competitive advantage will, in theory at least, drop because we are now using our resources more effectively.

Secondly, this is a more permanent solution, whereas tarriffs and subsidies are just temporary solutions to a more permanent problem. Tarriffs and subsidies have basically created a fake market because the market does not reflect the most efficient use of all available resources. Dropping all subsidies and tarriffs at once would result in these protected industries being rapidly destroyed and in the process leaving tons of workers out to dry until they could find jobs in an industry that still thrives here. In this light, government assisted transitions are really just a way to speed up the natural process of the market in order to minimize the damage that transitioning to a completely free market on a global scale would cause.

....but then again I could be full of *&^%. After all, I was not an econ major in undergrad.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 01:48:12 PM »
Makes sense, though you're argument with yourself shoots a few holes in that ideal. There's a topic even more difficult than economics, psychology.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 05:33:23 PM »
"rube"  hah.

you clearly have no understanding of international trade models.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 06:37:43 PM »
and you clearly don't have a brain.

so we should be on a level playing field.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 07:52:19 PM »
hah.  you have the pseudo-intellectual arrogance down pat.  now tell me, since you're so brilliant, who will be the democrat nominee for President in 2008 and can they beat any of the Republicans?

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 07:56:42 PM »
Btw, I'm also a staunch Democrat - though perhaps I'm more of a political realist...

skaiserbrown

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 08:20:21 PM »
hillary, warner, feingold or clark.

i ain't willing to handicap farther than that.

but whoever they run, they'll beat any possible republican not named mccain. santorum and romney will be done in by getting curb stomped by their respective '06 challengers. frist will get arrested. tancredo would get KILLED in the real thing, and pataki or guiliani are too liberal to ever get the needed votes in the primary. mccain is the GOPs only prayer.

and of course i have the pseudointellectual arrogance down. i practice at it every day.

;)

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 08:59:02 PM »
Can't argue much with that... nice analysis.  Though I'm not convinced Feingold or Hillary could win - especially Feingold.  I doubt Clark will get nominated, though I happen to like him.  Warner could be golden if he wins the primary. 

skaiserbrown

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 09:01:04 PM »
well, 3 years before the last election, no one knew who dean was. and he had a big ol' impact on the dem primary even though kerry won.

so it could be similar for some republican governor.