Law School Discussion

Re: What are your thoughts on the WTO?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 10:42:52 AM »
You can protect blue collars without being protectionist by providing for government assisted transisitions into industries that America is more competitive in. Obviously this raises all kinds of other issues, but it is a legitimate solution. How does the saying go? Give a man a fish and feed him for a day?

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 10:48:34 AM »
theprocrastinator,

Fair enough, but I interpreted his comment (below) to mean protecting the current jobs of blue collar workers, which by definition would be protectionist.   

also not <3 to the transitional period in post industrialized nations that causes formerly productive blue collar workers to lose their jobs while globalization happens.

Certainly the government can support transitions into more competitive industries - I agree - only Scott never mentioned other industries.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 11:04:09 AM »
You're right. I was just answering the question for him. And if he was talking about specific blue collar jobs then it would be impossible to save them without being protectionist. My solution isn't all that great anyway because most blue collar workers are far too entrenched in their lifestyles and careers to be able to accept moving into a different industry and especially moving to another geographic location, which such transitions often require.

Despite my overall cynicism here, I would like to point out that I am a supporter of free trade and am actually trying to make a career out of it. It may sound uncaring of me, but I don't feel all that sorry for somebody who lost their job to natural selection but is unwilling to accept the help that has been offered to them just because they will have to live somewhere new and learn something new. And, so long as that help is available and is being turned down, I don't buy the whole 'we need to save America's workers' crap because I think that at some point America's workers need to make an effort to help themselves. I don't think it is selfish to hold out a sandwhich to a starving person, but make them take a couple steps towards you to get it.

I think I just had an argument with myself

bluegreyeyes

• i dream of being ordinary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
i'm all for trade liberalization......

i'm also against debt forgiveness, so what the @#!* do i know.....

skaiserbrown

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »
You can protect blue collars without being protectionist by providing for government assisted transisitions into industries that America is more competitive in. Obviously this raises all kinds of other issues, but it is a legitimate solution. How does the saying go? Give a man a fish and feed him for a day?

this is the credited response.

(see, now that wasn't too hard, was it? i mean, you'd think it'd be the obvious answer. oh well.)

(ps: you didn't do too well on the reading comp section, did you ms. kaun lover?)

skaiserbrown

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 11:36:10 AM »
no, i'm single because i pine for you, swats dear. nothing else can match you :)

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »
scott - you never said anything remotely like that.  like the procrastinator said, he had to answer the question for you.

Please learn how to debate correctly if you want to run the world. 

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
I really shouldn't pipe up in here, but the way I understand it, giving government assistance is being protectionist. Tariffs give advantages to domestic workers and so does government assistance. Either one makes it harder for a foreign workers to compete. It seems to just move the protection from specific industries to workers. I suppose it achieves the same goal without appearing protectionist to competing nations.

Anywho...I suppose I'll be duly corrected.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 01:09:37 PM »
scott - you never said anything remotely like that.  like the procrastinator said, he had to answer the question for you.

Please learn how to debate correctly if you want to run the world. 

i thought it could be pretty clearly implied given that i stated in my first post that i liked the WTO and free trade, but disliked the fact that it put the short term hurt on workers in some nations.

how you turn that into a defense of protectionism or seeing a contradiction in my philosophy i'm not sure.

*shrug*

not my fault you're a rube.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 01:13:03 PM »
I really shouldn't pipe up in here, but the way I understand it, giving government assistance is being protectionist. Tariffs give advantages to domestic workers and so does government assistance. Either one makes it harder for a foreign workers to compete. It seems to just move the protection from specific industries to workers. I suppose it achieves the same goal without appearing protectionist to competing nations.

Anywho...I suppose I'll be duly corrected.

well, yes, you're right in a sense. but the big thing about tarriffs and such is that they protect certain industries, damaging international trade while promoting products produced at home. whereas providing training and assistance to those who lose their jobs doesn't affect the actual mechanics of trade, just the underlying resources and abilities of the nation.

at least, that's how i see it.