Law School Discussion

« on: December 12, 2005, 02:54:32 AM »
:)

skaiserbrown

Re: What are your thoughts on the WTO?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 05:58:03 AM »
<3 the WTO and free trade.

not <3 to the lack of certain governments to provide protections for their workers that allow them a living wage.

also not <3 to the transitional period in post industrialized nations that causes formerly productive blue collar workers to lose their jobs while globalization happens.

but the last two are fixable. the first needs to happen for a true global society to be possible.

SCgrad

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 06:05:49 AM »
I'm for it.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 06:07:46 AM »
contradicting yourself a bit scott?

2 and especially 3 are essentilly in direct opposition to the concept of pure free trade.

I'd also like clarification on what you mean by "true global society."  Most of the worthwhile literature out there today seems to indicate that globalization is exacerbating differences rather than smoothing them over.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely, but if you revisit the history of economic liberalization, free trade and liberalization generally lead to higher wages and quality of living in developing countries (e.g. India).

Also, you're arguing for protectionism in #3, which - though admirable for saving jobs - makes the US less competitive and generally makes the average American worse off.

but yes... love the WTO and free trade; and love the prosperity it brings developing nations - if only they would buy into the idea that trade can make them better off.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 06:23:03 AM »
I think the WTO concerns trading with other countries and being for open trading does not mean you can't support human rights.  The opinions scott expressed are not mutually exclusive.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »
they're only mutually exclusive if you're an idiot, mr. <3's 2 kaun.

free trade does not imply an acceptance of all laissez-faire economics.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »
i define free trade as a lack of tarriffs and other protectionist methods used by governments to protect their own industry and prevent the free flow of material and products from nation to nation.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:54:29 AM »
I'm sorry for my harsh comments, but I raised legitimate issues which you have failed to address - instead calling me an idiot.  :'(

I agree that free trade does not necessarily imply an acceptance of a completely laissez-faire system, but how do you suggest we save the jobs of
formerly productive blue collar workers
without using
protectionist methods used by governments to protect their own industry and prevent the free flow of material and products from nation to nation
?

#2 I'll give you - but we should keep in mind that free trade generally leads to a higher standard of living - yes, Nike should pay a livable wage, but when they're already paying two or three times the average wage in the country, what more should they be expected to do - though I don't agree, (i'm actually more on your side of the issue) there is an important argument out there that would suggest increased wage demands on multi-national companies decreases trade with developing nations, thereby leading to worse living conditions than otherwise possible.

By the way, I'll shortly be receiving a Masters in Int'l Econ. from a top university.  ;) And yes, economists generally have an odd sense of humor - my TA recently made a joke that "India has a comparative advantage in children," hence the use of child labor.  Obviously he was not being serious, but given the perspective of my professors perhaps you can see where my arguments come from.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »
remind me not to hire any int'l econ MA's when i run the world.

'cause if you can't readily understand that those two quotes have nothing contradictory in them, you're one dumb mofo. jsia. i mean, christ, the former naturally follows from the latter!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
Honestly, you're really not making much sense.

Explain yourself...

I'll repeat my question:

I agree that free trade does not necessarily imply an acceptance of a completely laissez-faire system, but how do you suggest we save the jobs of
formerly productive blue collar workers
without using
protectionist methods used by governments to protect their own industry and prevent the free flow of material and products from nation to nation
?

So, you're saying that saving blue collar jobs is not protectionist in nature?  How do you propose we do that without protectionist policies?

BTW - you clearly will never run the world.