Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toledo 1L Taking Questions  (Read 548 times)

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Toledo 1L Taking Questions
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »
just finished my last exam, so fire away.

john2364

• View Profile
Re: Toledo 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:41:46 AM »
I have one, Everyone seems to be obsesed with rankings on this board. Most law students I talk to say that you realize it really dosnt matter after you get in. How would you compare your job outlook from toledo compared to if you went to a much lower ranked school, and much higher ranked school?

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »
I think that you should go to just about the best school you can get into.  That's not to say that I would choose a school ranked 60 over one ranked 85 though.  Chances are those schools aren't truly that different.  If I could have gotten into a significantly higher ranked school I would have gone to it.  Still that said, job prospects are probably fairly similar amongst most schools out of the top 25 or so.  Certailnly the top 10-14 are a completely different story, opportunity abounds for them.  Is there a real difference in a T3 v. T4 school, sometimes yes sometimes no.  There a decent T4 schools, there are some pretty lousy ones as well, look at bar passage rates, job placement, etc.  I went to Toledo because I didn't get into any other school that was significantly better.  My tuition is only 12K per year, this is important to me.  Despite what people may say many law students, especially average ones at average schools will only start out at 40-70K a year.  I want to be able to pay off my loans, so Toledo was a somewhat appropiate choice, I really liked Penn St., could see myself living there for some time, but all things considered Toledo was my best option. 
My advice is consider where you want to live, how much you are willing to spend (is there an affordable public school), and what the schools strengths and weaknesses are.  This is actually something you can figure out by visiting and looking at the raw numbers.  Make a decision based on those things.  If you get into a T3 and T4 and you fell so so about the T3 and maybe don't really want to live there, but the T4 is a place you love, and maybe they threw a little money at you, and they have respectable placement, then they might be your best bet.  Don't let rankings be anything more than a baseline for targeting possible schools you would apply to, and don't apply to schools that you can't honestly see yourself going to.
A little story... We meet with the Dean at the end of our first semester before scheduling for spring, and she asked me a few questions about where I would like to practice, etc., etc.  I have family in Charlotte and told her I am considering going back to Michigan or going to Charlotte, then she began to tell me of a placement program they have in Charlotte's prosecutors office and other Charlotte Alumni.  Bottom line, there will be opportunity even at a school ranked 50, 85, or 130, it just depends on how hard you work.  Avoid schools like Cooley, Nova, and some others and you'll be fine.

admiraladg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »
Looks like I'm a little late in finding this but I'm hoping you'll still respond.  I just got accepted to Toledo with a full scholarship.  I really just applied there on a whim, mainly because it was free.  My heart is really set on going to MSU where I've also been accepted but am waiting to hear about scholarships.  I want to end up practicing in Michigan.  From what I understand, quite a few Toledo grads get jobs in Michigan.  I've not visited Toledo but my visit to MSU was great.  I guess I just wanted some insight from a current Toledo student.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:44:43 AM »
I too was accepted to MSU and had planned on going to MUS or Penn St.  I applied to Toledo very late in the year (maybe late March).  The reason I applied here was because I found out that I would need a co-singer for my private loans at MSU or PSU, as you know they are both around 25K a year.  Toledo is only 12K in state and I was in one of the five MI counties that were considered in state.  I also visited MSU and I thought the new building was quite nice.  I have known a few people (two) who went to MSU, but one went there suring the move, the other just graduated in 04.  Both liked MSU, but one wished he'd gone to Wayne or Toledo to save money.

In both of these schools you will get a good education, MSU is on the rise and should continue to do so.  Both degrees will carry well into MI, I think Toledo's is a little better in the metro-Detroit area, but not by much.

As for Toledo...the good and bad
-the profs are very open door and will help you as much as you want
-the administration is actually very good
-our classrooms are top-notch, wireless, plugs at every seat, comfortable chairs (better than MSU's plastic ones)
-we have lockers just like MSU does
-our law school building is on the edge of campus, so no fighting with undergrad traffic
-the overall atmosphere is welcoming and good
-the library is OLD and looks it, it works fine, we have all we need, its just not as nice as MSU
-there is no food place in the law school, you either pack a lunch or eat the free pizza that is around two or three times a week, or run somewhere quick
-we do have a nice speaker series with speakers every week at noon in the auditorium and free pizza is served for the one hour talks - check the website for some examples, but many of the speekers are not listed there
-I like that UT is smaller than MSU, it is a more personable setting, and there are quite a few planned student activities (the golf outing being the highlight)
-we also have a nice rec center on campus that's not too crowded

just a note: if you do get a scholorship at MSU, you may need to stay top 25% or some such thing to keep it.  This sounds easy but you will be fighting for that spot against many smart indiviuals and its not hard to end up at 35% or the like.  MSU is a great school, but in my eyes its not worth twice the price, and I actually think I am happier here at Toledo than I would've been at MSU.