Law School Discussion

Do LOR's from them hold weight ?

Achilles

Do LOR's from them hold weight ?
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm asking my academic advisor to write a LOR/Deans certificate for me (This is in addition LORs from 3 professors). So do LORs from academic advisors considered as important as others ?

jeb240

Re: Do LOR's from them hold weight ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
Probably not.  I mean, assuming your advisor is anything like my advisor(s), they probably haven't seen your work, haven't seen you work, and haven't seen you in class.

So basically they would have to give impressions of you that would not be anything that 3 professors wouldn't have managed to cover.

BTW, why are you using 4 recommendations?  Most schools only ask for 1-2.  Many may accept up to 4, but if they are all basically saying the same thing, what's the point?  You want there to be some overlap, but I find it hard to imagine that 3 professors and 1 advisor are going to each manage to highlight something different and worthwhile from the others about you.  I feel like if you're going to go to 3-4, that's because the 3rd and/or 4th come from your boss/supervisor.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Do LOR's from them hold weight ?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 10:00:02 AM »
Achilles, I'd advise against it for two reasons.

1. I spoke with my advisor about writing a LOR and he explained that since I hadn't had any actual classes with him a lor wouldn't be helpful because adcomms often seek in class and paper writing experience, etc.

2. My ls advisor said that any more than 3 lor is pushing it b/c it often seems that you're trying to overcomensate for something you feel is lacking in your app by sending in a fourth lor.  That may just be in light of my own poor scores, but I thought I'd pass it on FWIW.