Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does Bill O'Reilly really think liberals want to get rid of Christmas?  (Read 1494 times)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
I mean, is he really under the impression that admitting that other holidays exist means getting rid of his?  Does he think no holiday can be celebrated if it's not supported by displays on government property?  I just don't get it...

For the record, this mini rant was inspired by:
http://www.billoreilly.com/currentarticle

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does Bill O'Reilly really think liberals want to get rid of Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
He's a baffoon who has to use hyperbole to make his argument, because without it, he has none.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
Wow. That is just...wow.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

KT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »
What do you mean?
I mean, I know all the liberals *I* know are actively trying to get rid of Christmas... why would Billy Boy think anything less?
Lovers: Washington and Lee, Georgetown, UVA, Duke, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley!
Haters: Michigan, Stanford, Harvard

My new boyfriend: Virginia!

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 02:47:47 PM »
If Bill O'Reilly wanted to put a Christmas display - or any other kind of display - on his lawn, and the government -or anyone else - tried to make him take it down, what would the ACLU have to say about it?

skaiserbrown

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 04:11:57 PM »
short answer: yes.

longer answer: yes, because he feels that christmas needs to be commercially exploited.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »
I just realized why I identify myself as a liberal, even though I'm just as financially conservative.  I'm starting to wonder if the real split between liberals and democrats in this country isn't about abortion and guns per se -- instead, it's about how they prefer to communicate.  Conservatives like shouting; liberals prefer reasoned discussion. I prefer the later, so I unconsciously identify myself as such. 

Random Lily thought brought to you today thanks to Su and Scott for their comments here and in the Canadian thread  ;D 

(Yeah, and I know about what that Berkeley linguist said about family conceptual metaphors, and for a variety of reasons, I'm fairly certain he's wrong.  But that's a different thread.)

Yet again, that is only YOUR opinion. I think that liberals are the ones shouting their opinions all over the place. Heck, you through tomatoes just to get heard, I think that that is NOT rational thought at all, and Descartes would agree with me.

Descartes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 04:44:23 PM »
Heck, you through tomatoes just to get heard, I think that that is NOT rational thought at all, and Descartes would agree with me.

I'll thank you to leave me out of this.

And incidentally, I think you meant to write 'threw' tomatoes.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »
actually, i prefer to throw bombs at idiots like vinnydoll.  ::)

it's much more amusing for myself just to attack them for their ideas and mock them.

but when it comes to real debate with someone who has a clue what they're talking about, well, that's at least worthy of a little thought, regardless of which side the other person is on. :)

ps @ cbone: uh, WTO protesters aren't generally democrats. democrats are too conservative for them. further, even if they are democrats, they generally aren't main stream democrats. try again. jackass.

(see what i mean about bombthrowing?)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »
Heck, you through tomatoes just to get heard, I think that that is NOT rational thought at all, and Descartes would agree with me.

I'll thank you to leave me out of this.

And incidentally, I think you meant to write 'threw' tomatoes.

My teacher does a bad impersonation of you...
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future