Law School Discussion

Use a quote?

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Use a quote?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 05:17:56 PM »
i hope i can look more articulate than eminem. i'm using it.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 05:25:06 PM »
i hope i can look more articulate than eminem. i'm using it.

That might be hard...Eminem is pretty darn articulate. j/k  ;)

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »
I think it's clever!

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »
Let me rephrase.... the quote is from my childhood dance teacher, spoken to me at age 4. "Savannah, when you are on stage  by yourself, no one will know if you make a mistake" and then talk about how this quote has continuing to inspie to me to try to stand out the from the crowd

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
It depends on how you go from there, but I think it's a quote that has the potential to be really successful.  I don't see much wrong with using inspirational quotes from personal life, especially in an area where you may stand out as an applicant (like if you're an accomplished dancer today)

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 05:52:57 PM »
Let me rephrase.... the quote is from my childhood dance teacher, spoken to me at age 4. "Savannah, when you are on stage  by yourself, no one will know if you make a mistake" and then talk about how this quote has continuing to inspie to me to try to stand out the from the crowd

That sounds really good.  I think when people warn against using quotes to start personal statements, it's because they assume it'll be something like:

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

When these famous words were uttered so long ago, Socrates may well have been describing the journey that has led me to apply to law school and blah blah blah...

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »
Kudos bass on the Gatsby quote. ;D

I was seriously two steps away from writing my MA thesis on Fitzgerald.

DEFINITELY a quality way to start a PS  ;)

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »
Quotations suck, in general.  The only time a quotation should be kosher is when you're specifically providing evidence for a point in a polemic, either as support from authority, or as evidence of this or that fallacy made either by the person you're talking about or a related entity. 

And you're not doing that in your PS.  You're telling an adcomm what's so great about yourself, not taking a side and making an argument.  Quote your mom or your boss. 

Don't use a quotation because you think it says something fancy.  It's never a good idea.  In academics, it suggests you're vacuous - you have nothing important to say, so you'll get someone else to say it for you.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 06:28:52 PM »

See, this quotation is kosher.  Of course, as Bass said, it's still poor form to start off with a quotation like this, but including this in your essay supports the personal trend of the PS.