Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley Rankings  (Read 937 times)

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cooley Rankings
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »
Okay, so we all know the Cooley rankings are a joke, but I was wondering on how accurate their stats were on the searchable part.  They seem to make a big deal about US News just getting numbers wrong, so are their number more accurate?  It's kind of a nice tool to be able to search by a wide variety of factors, but are they accurate?

john2364

• View Profile
Re: Cooley Rankings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 07:24:42 PM »
I would assume that they are. because if you look at very important factors like total job placement, even they place themselves in the bottom ten. I looked at percent passing the bar, and they are prety bad there as well.

thescreed

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:58:53 PM »
The deal with the Cooley rankings is that the data are accurate, but they give each category equal weight, so the rankings themselves are absurd.

jjason2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:57:13 PM »
That is your opinion.

Regarding data and statistics, keep in mind that USNWR includes many manipulable variables in the equation. Refer to University of Texas' Dr. Brian Leiter's report on the rankings. http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

Median LSAT score, employment after graduation, entering median GPA, expenditures, and acceptance rates are just a few of the highly manipulable stats in the ranking formula. As suspecting as it makes Cooley, their Brennan and Le Duc simply attempts to place equal weight on all the objective factors considered when "ranking"  a school.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »
That is your opinion.

Regarding data and statistics, keep in mind that USNWR includes many manipulable variables in the equation. Refer to University of Texas' Dr. Brian Leiter's report on the rankings. http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

Median LSAT score, employment after graduation, entering median GPA, expenditures, and acceptance rates are just a few of the highly manipulable stats in the ranking formula. As suspecting as it makes Cooley, their Brennan and Le Duc simply attempts to place equal weight on all the objective factors considered when "ranking"  a school.

Yeah, but these factors include rather trivial things like physical size of the school and number of enrollees.

The point of rankings is to quantify how strong a law school is. Both Leiter and USNWR use methods that state this as their attempt and the weight they put on each of these factors stems from their belief that they are coming up with a system that does this. Cooley just says they are giving 27 categories equal weight without taking into account what the rankings in each category actually mean. Instead of trying to bring up a very valid debate over whether rankings should be used at all Cooley instead makes a joke of itself by coming up with a system that ranks themselves above schools that are quite obviously better than them and passes it off as legit. That's why they're such a joke.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »
jjason2 = cooley student.  not that there's anything wrong with that.  besides who are we to say that cooley isn't really a better law school than stanford, as their rankings claim?

jjason2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:44:24 PM »
and what is your point again? "jjason2=cooley student"? are you in 3rd grade?

No, I'm not a Cooley student or a student of any law school at the moment, hence my being on the "Pre-Law" board.

jjason2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 12:13:30 AM »
That is your opinion.

Yeah, but these factors include rather trivial things like physical size of the school and number of enrollees.

The point of rankings is to quantify how strong a law school is. Both Leiter and USNWR use methods that state this as their attempt and the weight they put on each of these factors stems from their belief that they are coming up with a system that does this. Cooley just says they are giving 27 categories equal weight without taking into account what the rankings in each category actually mean. Instead of trying to bring up a very valid debate over whether rankings should be used at all Cooley instead makes a joke of itself by coming up with a system that ranks themselves above schools that are quite obviously better than them and passes it off as legit. That's why they're such a joke.

Well, it may not be trivial to some. But you are talking about only two variables out of 30+ variables measured..

Like I said, I agree that Cooley's ranking publication is not the best marketing tool. And it is a shame they continue to publish that book. But Cooley also states the intent or purpose for their ranking publication which is clearly different than the purpose of USNWR..

The point is, blasting a school simply because of a flawed marketing strategy isn't fair to those students who look at Cooley as a viable option. There are several good qualities to the law school. But those aren't interesting things to talk about. I think quite a few pre-law students take offense to Cooley's liberal admissions policy because it takes away the prestige and magnificence of acceptance to law school. So it's easier to just dismiss them as a joke.

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 04:17:52 AM »
I think blasting a school because it's disingenuous is perfectly valid.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »
yeah i agree, besides if you look at jjason2's past posts a number of that are about how morally superior he is because he doesn't have a high lsat score.