Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letters in Response to Rejection Letters  (Read 29969 times)

CamJansen

• View Profile
Letters in Response to Rejection Letters
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:01:06 PM »
I think we posted something like this last year...
Well, I applied again this year. So here it goes again...
Write a letter you may or may not send in response to your rejection letter:

Dear Admissions Committee:

After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I'm totally awesomer than you could possibly fathom. Seriously. My awesomeness exists in dimensions that have yet to be discovered by the human mind. Carl Sagan and I once played connect-four together, and I somehow managed to connect-five on him. I'm sure this surprises you, as I didn't have a chance to tell you about it on my application. There simply wasn't enough space, so I only listed accomplishments you could comprehend within the framework of your standardized forms.

Also, I fully understand that it would be a little awkward for me to be surrounded by other students who would be intimidated by how awesometastic I am. Flowers can't grow in shadows. Mushrooms can, though. And, no, I'm not even going to think about making a "fun guy" pun right here. Why? Because even though I have yet to be accepted to a law school, I've graduated from the school of hard knocks (magna cum laude) and that's where they teach you the difference between right and wrong.

I appreciate your interest in me as an applicant.

Sincerely,
Me

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Letters in Response to Rejection Letters
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 07:08:18 PM »
This thing rules.

When I have more brain power, I will add one too.

;)

john83

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 11:37:57 PM »
yes. this is a great idea...

Deer Admisions Comittee;

I am unbeliveable that you did not offer me admision. I would be a amazing law student at you're university. I think that you should reconsider my aplication. I has enclosed another copy of my aplication with a essay explaining my interest in you're school.

Thanks for you're kind considerasian.

-Me

Cpac

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:16:01 AM »
Instead of a letter, I was thinking of calling up the schools who rejected me and saying, "Fine, I didn't like you anyway." I guess in letter form it would go something like this:

Dear School,
  I see that you have decided not to let me into your law school Well guess what? I didn't like you anyway.

From,
  Me, who is awesome

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:49 PM »
Here's the one I wrote last year. Enjoy:

I recently received your letter of rejection for admittance in to the School of Law, and I was relieved to learn that you did not find me to be a qualified applicant. I am actually quite used to rejection. You should have seen me last night! Apparently cute girls only go for guys with a median GPA of 3.8 and an LSAT of 172. Or maybe that's you.

The real reason I am writing you is to tell you that while most other students are rushing to their mailboxes to see if you guys sent them an update on their application status, I am actually going to check for my newest Netflix. I was extremely stoked to find a copy of I Heart Huckabees in my mailbox this week. Have you seen it? There's this dynamic duo of existential detectives that help various characters figure out the significance of their beings. Also, in the movie Jason Schwartzman almost makes it cool to have chest hair again, which I am pretty stoked about. Can chest hair count as a subjective factor in your admissions decisions? It should. I am totally 99th percentile material there.

I also wanted to send you an update on my applicant profile. Since I last wrote, I retook the LSAT and improved my score by like a bagizillion points. Furthermore, I am currently gainfully employed in a variety of different positions. I deliver subpoenas as a bike messenger, which has given me an insider's view of the legal process and a newfound appreciation for traffic laws. I am a host and bouncer at a café, which has given me an opportunity to enforce the law. And finally, I work in a bakery, which probably has no relevance at all to any future legal career that I might have. Although, as a cake salesman, I have learned how to lie effectively, which I have heard might come in handy one day in the court rooms.

For example, last night this guy came in and asked for a cake. He asked me to write "Happy Birthday Ed" on the cake. Simple enough. I'm pretty much an amateur in the world of cake-decorating but it would be unprofessional for me to tell people this, so I am basically living a lie. Usually I decorate the cake quickly, tape up the box and send people on their way. After I was done writing "Happy Birthday Ed" sloppily in cursive blue icing, I looked up and the man was staring at me like I had just scribbled in magic marker all over the upholstery of his living room furniture or something. I felt obliged to ask, "How does that look sir?". He said, "Honestly? I didn't want to tell you this earlier but I used to do this professionally." He was quite nice about it, but I felt like a moron. I gave him a free cookie for giving me his honest opinion. I asked him what he does now and he told me he was a writer.

My point is, if this whole law school thing doesn't work out, there's other options.

Sincerely,
Me

alphabet_soup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:44:26 PM »
Dear Admissions Committee,

I was actually using a pseudonym instead of my real name when I applied to your school.  I am actually Paul (Insert Name of School Here) Connecticut, grandson of the founder of your school.  When I tell my dad what you did, he will tell my grandfather and he will have your head on a platter.  I plan to to give you two weeks to send my acceptance and at that time if I have not received your acceptance letter I will be having a long talk with my dad.

Thanks,

Paul, CT
168/2.9ish

tttt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:19:48 AM »
OMG, this thread is a riot! :D Thanks, guys. LSD rocks.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:17:21 AM »
I'm just thinking in advance...

Dear adcomm and friends,

I know we haven't talked much in a while. Our relationship ended pretty suddenly when you said I wasn't "qualified" to be in your presence. Those words hit me pretty hard and I reconsidered the whole law school thing.

You'll be happy to know I took your suggestion and didn't bother applying for admission anywhere else. Instead, I've taken my love of the law to a related field: journalism. I am now a researcher at U.S. News and World Report for their annual law school rankings. The tough thing about this job is that there's a lot of math involved. Sometimes I forget to carry over a 1 or move a decimal in the wrong direction. Heck, just the other day I was looking at your reputation surveys and I forgot if 1 or 5 was the highest score. I'll probably just put you somewhere in the middle to be safe.

Best regards,

Nukelaw

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:38:36 PM »
Here's the one I wrote last year. Enjoy:

I recently received your letter of rejection for admittance in to the School of Law, and I was relieved to learn that you did not find me to be a qualified applicant. I am actually quite used to rejection. You should have seen me last night! Apparently cute girls only go for guys with a median GPA of 3.8 and an LSAT of 172. Or maybe that's you.

The real reason I am writing you is to tell you that while most other students are rushing to their mailboxes to see if you guys sent them an update on their application status, I am actually going to check for my newest Netflix. I was extremely stoked to find a copy of I Heart Huckabees in my mailbox this week. Have you seen it? There's this dynamic duo of existential detectives that help various characters figure out the significance of their beings. Also, in the movie Jason Schwartzman almost makes it cool to have chest hair again, which I am pretty stoked about. Can chest hair count as a subjective factor in your admissions decisions? It should. I am totally 99th percentile material there.

I also wanted to send you an update on my applicant profile. Since I last wrote, I retook the LSAT and improved my score by like a bagizillion points. Furthermore, I am currently gainfully employed in a variety of different positions. I deliver subpoenas as a bike messenger, which has given me an insider's view of the legal process and a newfound appreciation for traffic laws. I am a host and bouncer at a café, which has given me an opportunity to enforce the law. And finally, I work in a bakery, which probably has no relevance at all to any future legal career that I might have. Although, as a cake salesman, I have learned how to lie effectively, which I have heard might come in handy one day in the court rooms.

For example, last night this guy came in and asked for a cake. He asked me to write "Happy Birthday Ed" on the cake. Simple enough. I'm pretty much an amateur in the world of cake-decorating but it would be unprofessional for me to tell people this, so I am basically living a lie. Usually I decorate the cake quickly, tape up the box and send people on their way. After I was done writing "Happy Birthday Ed" sloppily in cursive blue icing, I looked up and the man was staring at me like I had just scribbled in magic marker all over the upholstery of his living room furniture or something. I felt obliged to ask, "How does that look sir?". He said, "Honestly? I didn't want to tell you this earlier but I used to do this professionally." He was quite nice about it, but I felt like a moron. I gave him a free cookie for giving me his honest opinion. I asked him what he does now and he told me he was a writer.

My point is, if this whole law school thing doesn't work out, there's other options.

Sincerely,
Me

I read this while at work eating a salad at my desk.  I almost choked on a tomato I was laughing so hard.  Thank you for making my day! 
BC Law class of 2009!

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 02:52:55 PM »
That letter wasn't fiction, by the way.

Sorry bout the choking incident.