Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Europe Summer 2006  (Read 1603 times)

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
Re: Europe Summer 2006
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 12:50:22 PM »
fly ryan air...very cheap
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
I still plan on going to Europe this summer sometime, but I've been to busy to plan.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

terpsichore

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »
Has anyone tried one of the Contiki trips to Europe or even Australia?  While I think it would be a great adventure to travel alone I (and of course my parents) are a little nervous about safety.  Contiki was suggested to me as a solution but I don't know anyone who has gone on any of their trips.

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 01:13:20 PM »
fly ryan air...very cheap

And great for getting to places where no one else flies.

But you have to plan carefully, pack light, and watch your taxes.  They require a few weeks prebooking for their best fares, have ridiculous luggage restrictions on some flights (and excess baggage will cost you more than your ticket) and taxes and fees will exceed the cost of the ticket, too (those 99 pent tickets usually carry a 30 pound set of fees). 

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
yeh it cost me more to fly my golf clubs with me to scotland than the actual flight itself, and the fees are pretty high but still.  It cost me less than a hundred dollars to fly myself and and my wife round trip to venice from frankfurt
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

no_name123

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »
ryanair is great and cheap...sometimes the airports are out of the way, though, and bus/rail/whatever to get into the city you're actually going to can be expensive and inconvenient. always look into that before you book. :) 2 really great websites:
http://www.bahn.de   (click on internat. guests at the top for english) can give you train times/schedules for all over europe
http://urbanlowdown.com       reviews/recommendations/etc written by expats living or studying in europe

i lived abroad for a year and did 2 months straight of backpacking, along w/a couple smaller trips. it's such a great experience! my favorite places were rome, budapest and portugal. portugal is seriously like an overlooked paradise. there weren't too many tourists, it's cheap, and the people are so friendly! if you like port wine, i  especially recommend porto, in the north. it's gorgeous and there's a whole neighborhood of wineries (porteries?) where you can wander and drink free port all day.  :)

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 02:24:58 PM »
Anybody know anything about Asia or the Middle East? I've heard Vietnam is awesome, and I've always wanted to try riding a motorcycle across the Holy Land.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »
Asia is great, Barney. It is so much cheaper than Europe so you can stay a lot longer without breaking your wallet.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
Anybody know anything about Asia or the Middle East? I've heard Vietnam is awesome, and I've always wanted to try riding a motorcycle across the Holy Land.

Israel is wonderful and relatively inexpensive. I'm going to be there for nine weeks this summer and am going to try and get to Jordan. At the least I want to see Petra. I think that is the farthest afield I'll be venturing though.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »
Definitely get the eurorail pass.

Did you have luck with it?  I was underwhelmed...they stick you with extra charges and reserved seats the whole way. Buses and planes would have ended up cheaper.

If you do use a Eurorail pass though--buy as few days as possible.  Southern Europe won't hardly look at the thing (and they won't stamp it). Erasable pen can do wonders too (at leats it could when I was last being a vagrant--they may have improved the technology a bit over the years).

It worked out fine for me, although there were a few occasions when I paid extra for an upgrade. Now that I think of it though I got a very good deal through this summer school I was attending for part of the summer so it might be a rip off if you are paying the full price.