Law School Discussion

Europe Summer 2006

Re: Europe Summer 2006
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »
I plan on going, but I don't have any solid plans yet.  I've never been there and this is my best chance.

That's basically how I feel about it, though I've been to a few places before.  Never long enough to really enjoy it.

andyg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »
I plan on going, but I don't have any solid plans yet.  I've never been there and this is my best chance.

I am actually thinking of going to europe for a few weeks after I quit my job...are you all going by yourselves or with friends ? Most of my friends have jobs and so they just can't take off to go backpacking around europe with me  :(

Hedley Lamarr

• What in the wide, wide world of sports is agoin on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
Iím going to Europe for about a month.  Two weeks with my friend. We are going to go to England, France, run with the bulls in Spain, then im going to spend around two more weeks backpacking around after he goes back to work.  Im starting in July, when is everyone else going?

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
I've got a tentative offer to come work as a waiter in a small Italian village for the summer.  If only I could work out the whole money issue, I'd be there now.

If scholarships and the government are good to me, I'll be there in June.

If you haven't done the backpacking thing, do it. Stick to the places where Americans aren't if you can. 

Hedley Lamarr

• What in the wide, wide world of sports is agoin on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
I've got a tentative offer to come work as a waiter in a small Italian village for the summer.  If only I could work out the whole money issue, I'd be there now.

If scholarships and the government are good to me, I'll be there in June.

If you haven't done the backpacking thing, do it. Stick to the places where Americans aren't if you can. 

I f-ing hate the touristy places, I want to go where the locals are. Did you already get a visa, or going covert?

Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 06:09:17 AM »
Depends where you want to go. Hug the mediteranean and they seem less concerned about proper paperwork.

Lots of places tourists haven't infiltrated just yet that you don't need additional papers for anyway.  Take my most heartfelt recommendation for Northern Ireland--Ireland the way it ought to be, minus the hoards of frat boys and family tree investigators.

tobias

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
Definitely get the eurorail pass.

Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 09:30:46 AM »
Definitely get the eurorail pass.

Did you have luck with it?  I was underwhelmed...they stick you with extra charges and reserved seats the whole way. Buses and planes would have ended up cheaper.

If you do use a Eurorail pass though--buy as few days as possible.  Southern Europe won't hardly look at the thing (and they won't stamp it). Erasable pen can do wonders too (at leats it could when I was last being a vagrant--they may have improved the technology a bit over the years).

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »

Probably by myself.  Not ideal, no, but still better than not going.  My friends that have the money aren't interested, and those that are interested don't have the money.  Oh well. :(

Yeah, it's hard to find friends w/ money that want to go.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
I priced a railpass last summer vs. going with no pass and since I was planning on doing a lot of sleepers, it turned out to be a lot more to do the rail pass.  I was also going to a lot of places that weren't covered, which made it even less convenient.