Law School Discussion

UMich Lawyers Club

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UMich Lawyers Club
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2005, 07:12:05 PM »
Ann Arbor is blury in general.  I don't get the people who gush over it like it's sliced bread.  The only plus is the campus area, which is a decent, albiet sorta low-rent, mini version of Greenwich.   

Every time you compare Ann Arbor to Manhattan, you make baby Jesus cry.

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2005, 07:16:56 PM »
For those about to move to Ann Arbor for the first time, I'd recommend two sources for preparatory socialization.

For a good idea of what's up, http://www.arborupdate.com/.

For more cynicism, http://www.annarborisoverrated.com/.

Parking really is that bad, every building closes for winter break, rent's not quite that bad, and, uh, there is a dude who sits in the Diag every afternoon playing harmonica. You will want to hit him, but you won't.

RocketBot

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2005, 07:19:09 PM »
Parking really is that bad, every building closes for winter break, rent's not quite that bad, and, uh, there is a dude who sits in the Diag every afternoon playing harmonica. You will want to hit him, but you won't.

I like the guy who stands across the street, who is so nice to the point of absurdity.  He'll ask you "spare some change?"... and no matter what you say, he'll look you right in the eyes and "have a nice day, my friend"... awesome guy.  Some company should totally recruit him as a representative.

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2005, 07:34:07 PM »

I like the guy who stands across the street, who is so nice to the point of absurdity.  He'll ask you "spare some change?"... and no matter what you say, he'll look you right in the eyes and "have a nice day, my friend"... awesome guy.  Some company should totally recruit him as a representative.

Oh, yeah. "Spare some change, my good good friend? Have a nice day!"

Ann Arbor: Even our bums are nice.

(Actually, my friend is one of the people who stops and talks to him. He says dude's not even homeless. Which is good, I guess.)

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2005, 08:26:58 PM »
I actually am a student temp in Housing at the Uni---I actually am a webtech for the Housing website, www.housing.umich.edu. If you have housing questions, let me know, as I deal with this stuff on a daily basis...too bad i could never get into UM law, or i'd have no problem staying in my current apt for next 3 years

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
The Lawyers Club would strike me as a great option if not for the "community bath" set-up

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
The Lawyers Club would strike me as a great option if not for the "community bath" set-up

I was turned off by the setup of the double suite (majority of rooms), the common area has the desk space which isn't very conducive to studying/working

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2006, 09:06:47 PM »

I was turned off by the setup of the double suite (majority of rooms), the common area has the desk space which isn't very conducive to studying/working

I understand the desk can be moved to another room. Also, you have to option of requesting a single (don't know if you'll get it though).

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2006, 09:09:01 PM »

I understand the desk can be moved to another room. Also, you have to option of requesting a single (don't know if you'll get it though).

I'm sure you can move the desk whereever you want but in the double suite, the other rooms are tiny, I'm not sure if the desk would even fit and if it did, it would be extremely uncomfortable.

There are two kinds of singles - there is a single suite which is awesome, huge (relatively) two room thing, but there are only 8 of these for the entire building and the upperclassmen have dibs.  There are also "economy" singles, which are the size of a large closet...

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2006, 09:12:23 PM »

I'm sure you can move the desk whereever you want but in the double suite, the other rooms are tiny, I'm not sure if the desk would even fit and if it did, it would be extremely uncomfortable.

There are two kinds of singles - there is a single suite which is awesome, huge (relatively) two room thing, but there are only 8 of these for the entire building and the upperclassmen have dibs.  There are also "economy" singles, which are the size of a large closet...

yes. I see your point. I guess you Can't have Great Location, Low Price AND Space.