Law School Discussion

UMich Lawyers Club

KT

• View Profile
Re: UMich Lawyers Club
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
Do you really have to have a lottery for parking?  Is that all parking or just the lot by the law school?  I'm a Californian at heart, so I needs to be able to drive, baby!

Also, has anyone else noticed that Ann Arbor is incredibly blurry on Google World?  I could find my car in the parking lot of my job on there, but I can only identify U Mich becuase it is the multi-colored blob surroinded by green blobs, next to the river.  Very disapointing.

where you from in CA, doll?

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »
Born and raised in the Mojave desert, started UG just east of LA.

You?

Bay Area, then Arizona.

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 03:24:08 PM »
Sweet.  I spend every summer in Lakeside/Pinetop/Show Low.  But after my childhood, I can't take the heat anymore (hence my current locale (New England) and excitement over Michigan). 

You're in NE as well?
Where at?

And yeah, I had tons of friends that had cabins up at Pinetop--some of them burned down in the big fire there recently though...  :-\

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2005, 03:28:03 PM »
lol, I told you you were stalking me. ;)

I'm in Vermont now.

what are you doing in Vermont?

I enjoy this hijack, btw

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
Well, right now I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting all bundled up to go see Narnia.  More generally, I'm finishing up school and working.  It's almost ski season, which should be nice.

Where in NE are you, if I may ask?

Cambridge...
As a fellow west coaster, is the skiing really terrible in the east? Bc I hear it's all icy and gross... and I'm a Utah/Tahoe/Colorado/Montana powder kinda girl.

KT

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2005, 03:38:15 PM »
I haven't been skiing since I've been here, but I'll let you know after X-Mas. I have to go this year becuase there may not be anything decent next year.  For what it's worth, I'm told Vermont is the only place in New England where the skiing is worth a three hour drive, but nothing compares to Utah's fresh powder (although admittedly I've never been to Tahoe).

Nah, Utah's powder is better than Tahoe, no question. I heart Alta and Snowbird...
Yeah, I'm probably going to go up to Vermont sometime myself.

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2005, 09:09:45 PM »
I actually sent in the housing form for the Lawyers Club today.  If I decide not to attend Mich or to look for housing another place, it's not at all binding, so why not?  At least by filling it out now I know that I have an affordable place to live if I decide to go.  :)

RocketBot

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2005, 10:38:06 PM »
To whoever is saying housing costs $1100 or $1400... I have no idea what you're talking about.  I went efficiency-hunting last year in the area, and there were plenty of options within 2 blocks of the law school, in the $600-$850 range.

RocketBot

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2005, 10:50:40 PM »
I guess you got lucky.  I don't know anyone who got a real apartment that was even halfway decent for less than $1,000, and most were higher.

Of course, if you get a 2 bedroom, which is still dumpy otherwise, you can split it up a bunch of ways, but who wants to live with 4 roommates in law school?

Heh, I didn't "get lucky".  I toured a good 8 or 10 apartments in this price range, all on southern-central campus.  I guess it depends on what standard you're looking for, and whether an efficiency or a one bedroom is what you want.

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2005, 01:50:16 AM »
yeah, i think you're mistaken. The housing market in ann arbor isnt *that* high. plenty of one bedroom/studios sub 900 dollars. There' salwys University Towers. now, im not saying that these places are nice or new.. nearly everything is old.. and there are plenty of two bedrooms for 1000 which split two ways is a nice deal. well, still expensive, but compared to the figures you were stating, naw.