Law School Discussion

UMich Lawyers Club

!!

• View Profile
Re: UMich Lawyers Club
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:14:01 AM »
I'd be taking a hard look at the Lawyer's Club if it were open in the summer.  But I refuse to move my stuff twice and find a summer sublet, so it's not an option.  Offcampus apt as close as possible with a meal plan is what I plan to do.

Get started looking early.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 08:14:44 AM »
DATES OF OCCUPANCY
The terms of the Lawyers Club contract are concurrent with the law school’s academic calendar.
The Lawyers Club opening for Fall 2006 has not yet been confirmed, but is likely to be Friday,
August 25, 2006. The Lawyers Club lease does not provide for occupancy between fall and
winter semesters, early move-in or late stays. None of the privileges of residence are
transferable.

tier 7 hopeful

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 08:16:59 AM »
already been looking...any current UMich students, PM me with any useful advice please...

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 08:19:54 AM »
Mmm...well, that's unfortunate for your circumstances.

I'd expect to go home Winter break anyway, and I absolutely love the way it looks, so I'd love to live there.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
I have two friends who live there and say it's like a freshman dorm.  Only 1Ls live there and the rumor mill is rampant.  Don't plan on having any privacy, and don't date anyone in your class unless you want everyone else to know every little detail.  On the other hand, housing in Ann Arbor IS expensive... I went there for undergrad.  Expect to pay at least $1100 for a decent studio, one bedrooms are $1300+ unless you want to live far out (i.e. need to drive to campus).  Oh, and parking is IMPOSSIBLE.  That said, Ann Arbor is awesome-- way more fun than most college towns (I live in DC now).

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 09:08:15 AM »
I've been looking at apt listings and have found quite a few within walking distance of the law school in the 600-850 range, heat included, and frequently other utilities included as well. granted these are probably one room hovels but I'm not picky. :)

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 10:32:43 AM »
I will most likely be going there next year and most likely living there. My sister goes there now and she lived in the Lawyers' Club last year during here 1L and absolutely loved it. She said that although it can be semi-annoying at times (privacy, gossip) she would def. reccomend it. You can virtually have your choice between a single and double room so you can tailor it in that aspect. She got lucky and got a great roommate. Anywho, I know it has its downsides, but its upsides are huge, and it's really awe inspiring when you are there, knowing people a hundred years ago sat at the same desk in the same room. It's what makes it the best living/learning environment in the whole country. It's only for one year, and I for one I'm very excited about it.

loveless

• Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 10:39:51 AM »
Those family dorms on North Campus are WAY out there. They're the absolute northern edge of the UMich campus, and the law school is the absolute southern edge. It's quite far.

jeb240

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 11:48:54 AM »
Okay... BALLS to that.  I have heard about schools making kids leave the dorm during the breaks and that just seems insane to me.  What do they expect kids who either don't have the money/ability to leave or who live very very very far away to do?  That's so crazy.  Do most schools do this?  I've only heard of it with state schools.

The Lawyer's Club sounded like something that I would like, but that is just a completely unacceptable rule.  What is it they are doing with the building that adults who are paying rent can't be present for?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 12:14:30 PM »
Well, I guess they don't have trouble filling up WITH the rule in place.