Law School Discussion

UMich Lawyers Club

!!

• View Profile
UMich Lawyers Club
« on: December 09, 2005, 03:45:56 AM »
Who is interested in living there next year?

!!

• View Profile
Re: UMich Lawyers Club
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 05:07:42 AM »
That's true, but I'm no Mario Batali.  I'm not even Rachel Ray.

I guess I'm just discouraged because housing in Ann Arbor is a female dog, and I loathe apartment hunting.  I'm only an hour away, but it still seems so inconvenient to go there... and visit places... and wheel and deal with shady landlords...

Ugh.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 05:46:58 AM »
I'd love to live in the lawyers club-why don't you? I understand the desire to cook for yourself, but the meal plan isn't horribly expensive, and have you taken a look at the wood-paneled dining commons? Talk about sweet.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:12:46 AM »
I'd love to live in the lawyers club-why don't you? I understand the desire to cook for yourself, but the meal plan isn't horribly expensive, and have you taken a look at the wood-paneled dining commons? Talk about sweet.

It's closed over break and the entire summer.  I do not want to move my stuff around twice a year, and subleasing for the summer is inconvenient.  I also don't want to spend three or four weeks living with my parents in December.  They should really revisit that policy.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 06:32:26 AM »

It's closed over break and the entire summer.  I do not want to move my stuff around twice a year, and subleasing for the summer is inconvenient.  I also don't want to spend three or four weeks living with my parents in December.  They should really revisit that policy.

YES. i actually love dorm life and its conveniences except for that one. closing over winter break is just ick. i was hoping maybe grad schools didnt, but figured they did. not having a real home in the U.S. (parents live out of the country) it's hardly economical for me to fly international for a couple of weeks or so, which means i have to float around friend's places. i probably won't mind visiting friends and would do it anyways to some extent, but i also suspect that i'm going to be run-down and in serious need of recovery. not the best of times to not have my own home available to me. a few days celebrating the holidays, yes, but weeks of being kicked out =  Blah. tho subleasing in the summer.. i mean,  chances are you'd be somewhere else working or etc. at least i think.. so that may be a plus.

i don't know what i'll do if/when i chose housing. i like proximity to the law school, and i like the convenience of pre-cooked meals after a few years of living in apts with friends where the food degenerates into ramen or sandwiches 24/7. but.. i really will hate being kicked out for winter break.

but i like the looks of the Lawyer's Club.

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:35:38 AM »
Who is interested in living there next year?

I am, but I can't remember if they have housing for married couples.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 07:39:53 AM »
According to the website, UMich does have grad housing, but it is not in the Lawyer's club.

"You may be attracted to two other University Housing options. Family housing, which is relatively economical, is available for students coming to Michigan with spouse, same-sex domestic partner, and/or children. Family housing apartments are located on North Campus, a 20 minute, free bus ride from the Law School. Housing is offered in one, two, or three bedroom townhouses and apartments. Family apartments are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and applications are accepted from admitted students only."

Also, M16, are you sure they're closed during the breaks? Their website says that residents are "held to the lease for the entire year." I imagine Michigan's Law residence halls might have different rules than the UG ones.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 08:05:03 AM »
Also, M16, are you sure they're closed during the breaks? Their website says that residents are "held to the lease for the entire year." I imagine Michigan's Law residence halls might have different rules than the UG ones.

I am sure.

http://www.law.umich.edu/admittedstudents/living/lawyers-club-app.pdf

tier 7 hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 08:10:21 AM »
I'd be taking a hard look at the Lawyer's Club if it were open in the summer.  But I refuse to move my stuff twice and find a summer sublet, so it's not an option.  Offcampus apt as close as possible with a meal plan is what I plan to do.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 08:12:44 AM »
http://www.law.umich.edu/admittedstudents/living/lawyers-club-app.pdf

Could someone who's been admitted copy/paste this info or upload it somewhere like rapidshare.de?

You can't view it unless you've been admitted.