Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: personal statement about immigrant adversity?  (Read 7147 times)

lexie0502

personal statement about immigrant adversity?
« on: July 13, 2004, 12:33:17 PM »
hey i wrote my peronsal statement about my experience of coming to the US.  I dont know if is sounds too sappy and pitiful.  can you guys help me out? anyone willing to read it and tell me what they think? (PLEEEZ!)  :-*

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: personal statement about immigrant adversity?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:59:42 PM »
I've been reading people's PS's, what I lack in LSAT score, I make up in writing ability :)
All were happy with my "constructive criticism. But there's always a bad apple somewhere  ;)
 bagley@csus.edu
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 01:40:52 PM »
edit

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 02:21:26 PM »
how long ago did you move here? I moved here when I was 5, so I chose not to delve too much into the experience of emigrating, since it was a rather superficial one for me at this point in my life.

But yours might be different and might have more to do with your interest in law school and who you are as a person. I'd also be willing to give it a read if you're still pondering over it.

hey i wrote my peronsal statement about my experience of coming to the US.  I dont know if is sounds too sappy and pitiful.  can you guys help me out? anyone willing to read it and tell me what they think? (PLEEEZ!)  :-*

ruskiegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »
I came from Russia when I was nine years old and a great deal of my personal statement dealt with the experience of immigration.  However, because I came so long ago, I focused more on what I have achieved here since I came, but tied that into how my cultural background both created obstacles and motivated me.

I think it's important not to sound whiny or attempt to write a "sob story" when you are writing your PS on an immigration experience.  By all means, emphasize your cultrue, but try to keep a positive tone in your personal statement.

If you would like, I can email you a copy of mine so that you may get some ideas on how to approach this.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 07:04:23 PM »
Ignore shifty.  He's always up to no good, from what I've seen.

Let me know.

ZAP

Huh?  I believe she was happy with my review, and several others have been realy happy that I reviewed there's for FREE.  I wouldn't call that no good.  By gosh, I do believe I just received a personal attack on this board.  What took so long?  :P
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 10:47:17 AM »
edit

ruskiegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 03:13:38 PM »
Can't we all just get along? ;D

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 03:16:54 PM »
edit

lexie0502

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 07:37:57 PM »
first-i wanna thank you guys for finally responding to my post!!!! it's SOOO awesome to get some feedback!!! makes me SOOOOO :) :) :) !!!

well i emmigrated from poland when i was 9.  originally my PS was just about the whole experience of when i initially came over.  As of recent reviews, i have been advised to incorporate some discourse regarding my motivation to go to LS.

So as of recently i kinda started on rewriting it a bit.  i started out explaining how immigration has influenced/impacted my life.  And i go on to discuss how i came to be interested in international affairs and econ (my ugrad majors).  i go on to discuss how this lead me to develop the interest in international law (esp in areas such as trade/finance).  how does that sound?