Law School Discussion

SCgrad

Re: Hey, let's reduce the deficit by giving away TAX CUTS!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:37 PM »
what really irritates me is that i'd be perfectly happy to see even decent programs cut from the budget if we were willing to slash real pork spending that goes to every single district. and to avoid making tax cuts that WORSEN the deficit even as we try to fix the problem by ending generally decent programs that improve the earning potential of folks, e.g. literacy programs.

i'm for a balanced budget.

i'm also for lower taxes.

but i'm not so naive as to believe that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Show some evidence how our economy is worse off now after all these tax cuts?

Wait fifteen years when the US declares bankruptcy because we can't pay the interest on the debt.

I believe it is doing better actually. "U.S. economy added 215,000 jobs in November, beating the expected mark and posting the highest  number in four months.

I keep hearing these numbers, and I have to ask what kinds of jobs they are.  I think they're conflating reduction in the unemployed payments -- and remember, people are being forced off the rolls because of gov't policy -- with actually getting jobs.

Even if there are more jobs available, I have to wonder what kind they are.  If the kids who are graduating summa from Wharton (and remember, Wharton is one of the two Ivies that still has a forced curve) are still winding up working in restaurants, then it suggests the jobs that are being created aren't the kinds we really want in America.

If things were really this bad, people would be running around screaming and burning down Walmarts.  Summa Cum Laude from Wharton and no job?  That guy needs to remove the swastika (sp) tattoo from his forehead.

verbal

• AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2005, 11:54:56 PM »
ok i will say that i agree that a great economy right now might not be worth borrowing so much money from china. if that doesnt bother u it should. the old quote about borrowing money from foreign countries is that its not a problem until its a problem. remember whenever u hear about the gov spending any money right now they mean we r going to borrow money from china to do this.  thats why so many intelligent people had a problem with giving money to katrina victims. everyone wants to help those poor people but when bush said we r going to give X amount of money what he is saying is we r going to borrow X money from china to give to them.

On an entirely different subject i think it is always wrong to give tax cuts to people when soldiers r at war. if the average citizen is not sacrificing the average soldier is screwd.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2005, 07:06:44 AM »
thats why so many intelligent people had a problem with giving money to katrina victims. everyone wants to help those poor people but when bush said we r going to give X amount of money what he is saying is we r going to borrow X money from china to give to them.

So why would that make intelligent people not want to give to Katrina victims? Doesnt' make sense to me.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2005, 08:14:58 AM »
Lily, you are rationalizing the data. I do recall several people accusing Republicans of ignoring facts when they don't suit them, don't fall victim to the same thing.

As far as the USA declaring bankruptcy...don't bet on it, we've have never done it and we've been a lot worse off then we are now. Or don't you remember that we paid our debts even after we won the revolutionary war. Then we had no credit and no money, yet we didn't default. I don't think we'll default now either.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2005, 10:23:53 AM »
not you heard?  congress passed new law making it much harder to declare bankruptcy.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »
As far as the USA declaring bankruptcy...don't bet on it, we've have never done it

is this even possible for a country that can generate one of the reserve currencies at will?  why would we not just massively devalue our currency instead?

Exactly,

skaiserbrown

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2005, 11:13:25 AM »
titcr, watson.

we'd be argentina, not mom and pop getting run off the farm by creditors

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2005, 11:16:46 AM »
Lily, I'll try to answer, but my internet is to slow to being quoting all that right now.

I'm not debating how "facts" are defined I just noted that when Republicans debate the facts we are accused of ignoring them.

I believe you're correct about the domestic loans, but I don't know if your conclusion necessarially follows.

I didn't know about the civil war debt, who did we owe?

We've had massive debt for 50 years...I don't think we'll get out, I think it'll just continue. Note that some countries forgive our loans in return for political points, but I haven't really analyzed the debt situation.

Frankly I'd listen to the Heritage foundation over you, they have done a bit more study, though I have no idea if they are right or wrong.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »
Not paying back the souther debt makes sense and negates your point. The Union (which is the United States) never incurred any southern debt. It'd be like us paying off Japan's war debt...

Oh and as far as your credentials go, I guess you know more about it than I do, but that doesn't mean the Heritage foundation knows less.

Oh and yes you dispute the facts. You wanted to know what kind of jobs were being added, giving the impression (intentionally) that they were not good jobs or that the jobs were being added incorrectly to the employment rate because of people unwilling coming off unemployment.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »
I like Lily's reasoning.
I dislike the way Freak's little snipe attacks miss the point.