Law School Discussion

SCgrad

Re: Hey, let's reduce the deficit by giving away TAX CUTS!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2005, 02:45:26 AM »
People need to realize that things aren't going to happen in a second as far as the economy goes.

Actually, as far as the economy goes, things do happen in less than a second.  Moving $800,000,000,000 from one place to another (the govt. control to private control) is just not as significant for the economy's production as some people think.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2005, 05:55:39 AM »
the austrian school is a shell game. fool.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2005, 08:21:41 AM »
your supposition that clinton is the cause of the current deficits.

and yes, the sky being green allusion does make sense to anyone with even a close approximation of sentience. if the sky in your world is green, i suppose bizzaro economics might work. you're a real genius that it has to be spelled out to you, yo.

of course, on the (nearly impossible) chance your argument is correct, that'd mean the boom economy of the 50's was Roosevelt and Trumans doing, and that the bad times of the late 70's was Ford and Nixon's fault, and not Carters. and the boom of the 1980's was Carters doing, while the recession of the early 1990's would be early Reagans fault. did you even bother thinking about that before deciding that your hypothesis had even a grain of truth? because i doubt you're going to accept those as truths, considering what other sort of stupid sh*t you believe.

I have no problems accepting truths when they have facts and argument to back them up, in fact, I may actually agree with you that the boom in the 50s was due to Roosevelt and Truman, mostly Truman, of course. Just because I am a republican does not mean that I refuse to accept anything another party does that's good as truth.
And yes, I do believe that what I said about Clinton.
Also, about your thoughts on the idea that the sky is green. I believe that everyone can hold their own perceptions of reality but that they are not necessarily true. Are you a proponent of moral relativism? There are higher ideals to aspire to, you may believe the sky is green, but it is fact is what it is. Whether it IS green or not has yet to be determined and the only one that holds that truth is God, we can only get at it once we have been able to see into the mind of God.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2005, 08:24:32 AM »
what really irritates me is that i'd be perfectly happy to see even decent programs cut from the budget if we were willing to slash real pork spending that goes to every single district. and to avoid making tax cuts that WORSEN the deficit even as we try to fix the problem by ending generally decent programs that improve the earning potential of folks, e.g. literacy programs.

i'm for a balanced budget.

i'm also for lower taxes.

but i'm not so naive as to believe that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Show some evidence how our economy is worse off now after all these tax cuts? I believe it is doing better actually. "U.S. economy added 215,000 jobs in November, beating the expected mark and posting the highest  number in four months. Over the past year, nearly 2 million jobs have been created -- and nearly 4.5 million jobs have been added since May 2003, when the job market began its turnaround. The unemployment rate remained at 5.0 percent -- below the average unemployment rate of the 1970s, the 1980s, and the 1990s. The Labor Department report shows that the American economy not only remains resilient in the face of two major hurricanes that did enormous damage to the Gulf Coast region but that, in fact, the economy continues to grow at a remarkable rate.  "
Also, "Here are a few other recent economic data points that underscore that the American economy is a wonder of the modern world: 

The U.S. economy grew at a robust 4.3 percent annual rate in the third quarter, the best rate in more than a year. Economic growth has been remarkably steady and strong over the past two-and-a-half years -- and the economy has now grown 3.3 percent or more for 10 straight quarters.

Gas prices have dropped 30 percent since September (from $3.07 per gallon to $2.15 per gallon).

Inflation was lower than projected. The consumer price index rose at a 3.6 percent annual rate, and core inflation was at its lowest level in more than two years.

Consumer spending increased 4.2 percent in the third quarter, beating the estimated mark and setting the fastest pace since the end of 2004.

Business spending on equipment and software grew by a 10.8 percent annual rate in the third quarter.

Sales of single family homes showed the biggest one-month gain in more than 12 years, increasing by 13 percent in October.

Orders for durable goods showed the largest increase since June of 2000, increasing by 3.4 percent in October.

Consumer confidence soared. The Conference Board's Consumer Confidence rating increased by 13 points to 98.9 for November.  The University of Michigan's Consumer Confidence index also rose, growing by 7 points.

December 1 the Dow Jones industrial average closed within 90 points of 11,000, a level the Dow hasn't hit since June 2001. "

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 08:28:24 AM »
i am glad to see that a significant number of the people who self-identify as "conservative" still believe in fiscal responsibility.  that for me was the most appealing part about the '90's conservatives in congress.  it gives me hope.

please police up your nuts, and i will encourage the liberals to do the same.

thank you.

I believe in fiscal responsibility as well, and I am conservative. It is just that we shouldn't have as many programs as we do. We need to cut them in order to see real progress. But still, why should I (or anyone else for that matter) have to pay for John over there who sits on his butt all day doing nothing? Or Jane, his live-in gf, who has more kids because the social welfare worker told her that would help her get more money. Even though she already gets SSI for her "disability" of drug addiction. Come on now, really.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2005, 08:32:55 AM »
yes, but the media in general blows.

it's exciting the base that matters.

those who can't pick a side aren't worth my time.

i'll make sure that my base cares enough to get out and vote.

it's just i don't have anything as awesome as hatin' on gays to make em go out to the polls.

It's not the base that wins elections, they will vote for you no matter what, seriously, after looking at the alternatives, you weigh in better. It's the people that are at that margin that WIN the elections for you. And I thought you are considering yourself intelligent on here or something. Next time, before you criticize others think about yourself and the arguments you are lacking.

At least I dont' blatantly attack other people on here.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2005, 08:34:35 AM »
it should work for the democrats, if we can get our act together.

seriously, the republican party as a whole is SO much better run than the democrats.

40 years of perpetual minority turned them into a lean mean election winning machine.

we've gotta catch up.

And how would you characterize YOUR base? Seriously, what kinda people are the Democrats' base? Those people taht think voting is for idiots? Lol, like they will ever vote to begin with. The people that are genuinely your base will vote for you no matter what. You know, this must mean that Democrats are just not getting it, they need to wake up to the times.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2005, 08:37:13 AM »
IMO, the two parties are so close on most issues that we basically have a one party system.

You know, I have heard people argue this point and in a way I do agree. In order to actually win a majority of the vote you need to have all the people on the far part of your side and then just that margin of people in the middle that outweighs what the competition has. This makes sense ________middle people_________
far left_______left_middle people_right_______far right.
Those little charts, I know they are stupid, but hopefully understandable show that the right and left are actually closer than many people might imagine. The far right and the far left running and winning an election would be really something now, don't you think?

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2005, 11:51:31 AM »
Goddammit Vinny!

skaiserbrown

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
that's a tale of sound and fury, told by an idiot, signifying nothing, right there.