Law School Discussion

skaiserbrown

Re: Hey, let's reduce the deficit by giving away TAX CUTS!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »
yes, but the media in general blows.

it's exciting the base that matters.

those who can't pick a side aren't worth my time.

i'll make sure that my base cares enough to get out and vote.

it's just i don't have anything as awesome as hatin' on gays to make em go out to the polls.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »
it should work for the democrats, if we can get our act together.

seriously, the republican party as a whole is SO much better run than the democrats.

40 years of perpetual minority turned them into a lean mean election winning machine.

we've gotta catch up.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2005, 07:34:31 PM »
 :D

we didn't start the fire...

but we sure as hell will fight it with fire  ;)

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2005, 07:34:41 PM »
IMO, the two parties are so close on most issues that we basically have a one party system.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2005, 07:36:45 PM »
IMO, the two parties are so close on most issues that we basically have a one party system.

i have to agree that on a couple issues they're similar (free trade comes to mind), but i don't think you can say it's so on gay rights, abortion issues, labor issues, taxes, fiscal conservativism, and more and more the war on terror (now that democrats are no longer being f-ing cowards who are afraid to be painted as weak on defense)

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2005, 07:40:16 PM »

i have to agree that on a couple issues they're similar (free trade comes to mind), but i don't think you can say it's so on gay rights, abortion issues, labor issues, taxes, fiscal conservativism, and more and more the war on terror (now that democrats are no longer being f-ing cowards who are afraid to be painted as weak on defense)

You're right about the moral issues. I'm not so sure on the rest. Of course, the moral issues are where Republicans get their base.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2005, 07:45:55 PM »
and the democrats, to some extent. not many gay folk voting republican anymore. but republicans have ruled at branding themselves in the past 20 or so years. so much better than the democrats.

and there ARE still fiscal conservatives, it's just no one does more than give lip service to them.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2005, 07:49:47 PM »
and the democrats, to some extent. not many gay folk voting republican anymore. but republicans have ruled at branding themselves in the past 20 or so years. so much better than the democrats.

and there ARE still fiscal conservatives, it's just no one does more than give lip service to them.

The problem with having a gay base is that there are not many of them to vote.

You're right about fiscal conservatives, but they just vote libertarian if they are really serious.

verbal

• AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2005, 11:01:56 PM »
hey everyone. id like to preface this by saying i only read about the first one and a half pages. I didnt really care enough about the subject to read them all plus its one in the morning and im a little tired. I just wanted to get back on topic for a second and prove that to some extent lowering taxes can increase revenue. 

LETS TAKE A LITTLE QUIZ.  ANSWER THESE THREE QUESTIONS.
1. if u r taxed at a flat rate of 25% a year and u make 100 dollars a year, how much money will the gov get from u?
2. if u r taxed at a flat rate of 50% a year and make 100 dollars a year, how much money will the gov get from u?
3. if u r taxed at a flat rate of 100% a year and make  100 dollars a year, how much money will the gov get from u?

THE ANSWERS.
1 25 DOLLARS
2 5O DOLLARS
3. 0 DOLLARS
U WILL NOT WORK IF U ARE NOT GOING TO GET TO KEEP YOUR MONEY.  THIS PROVES THAT SOMEWHERE ALONG THE CURVE THIS IS A POINT WHERE PEOPLE WILL WORK LESS BECAUSE THEY R BEING CHARGED TO MUCH IN TAXES.  THIS IS THE FAR EXTREME EXAMPLE BUT IT IS USEFUL IN THAT IT DEMONSTRATES THE WISDOM IN A REDICULOUS SOUNDING THEORY. 

i do want to point out that it usually doesnt work. the reasons people gave like discounting the worth of money and the incredibly important fact that our taxes really arent high enough yet for this phenomenon to take effect explain why.  just thought i would put my econ degree to use for a minute.

twelvehundred

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2005, 12:00:30 AM »
I love how you guys are quick to label me a kool-aid drinking Republican. Truth is, I am not.  I enjoy economics and subscribe to the libertarian philosophy championed by the Austrian School of Economics (Ludwig von Mises, George Reisman, etc.). 

We can continue to throw numbers around but that is getting us nowhere.  Numbers can be manipulated to say just about anything in the dynamic world of economics. 

I think we can agree that lower taxes can assist in growing the economy by allowing more capital to be saved and invested.  If we deny this, then we either think that taxes have no affect on the economy, or that increasing taxes improves the economy.  If taxes continue to rise, there has to be some point at which investment stops because all dollars are used for basic human needs.  Capital investment is needed to grow an economy and therefore capital above the level required for basic needs must be available.

I will agree on this:  lowering taxes does not improve the long-term economy if there is not an equal cut in governement expenditure.  If money is borrowed to cover any short-term shortfalls then the overall gain in productivity may be minor.

http://www.mises.org/